What new thing will you grow this year?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Sharon in NY, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Sharon in NY

Sharon in NY Well-Known Member

Gooseberries! Currants grow well for us, so gooseberries it is. And Aronia, I think. And I'll be able to harvest my yacon tubers for the first time. And I'm going to grow a big old patch of a new kind of popcorn for me - Calico.

How about you?

Sharon

2. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

DH and I were thinking about goji berries. Anyone try them?? Have them? Use them or the juice?? Pretty pricey too, not as cheap as our blueberries, so we wanted to talk to people that already had them.....

3. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

I plant 2 new things each year. Last year it was leeks and walking onions. Also tried a new type of squash. Loved the onions and will grow some more. The leeks were o.k. but I put in too many. The squash we didn't like as much as some of the other kids we've tried. This year I'm starting some horseradish and I haven't decided what else yet.

4. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Dry beans and onions from seed(hopefully). Trying wintersowing for the first time also.

5. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

New pumpkin varieties!

6. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Wild yams for a local herbalist who's looking for a source. I also found a purple brocolli that I just have to try. (I don't know what it is about purple veggies, I just find them fascinating)

7. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Lima beans- just realised I love the taste and once again I'm in a place where they ought to grow.

8. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

Rocket. It's a kind of spicy lettuce they put on all the hamburgers down here. I highly recommend it. It's growing just fine in pots on my balcony.

Then again, they also put big honkin' slices of beet and Brie on their hamburgers too!

9. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

I'm excited just to have a garden again. In recent years, we knew we just didn't have time to tend a garden, what with both of us working fulltime and animals to take care of every day. Now DH is retired, and I have coaxed him into doing a garden again, just some basic stuff we will use. I think taking him to the grocery store has convinced him we can grow things a lot cheaper!
    His dad was a great gardener, I hope some of those long buried genes will pop out and take hold !
    I also want to get some raspberry bushes this year, never tried them before...

10. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

I got some goji berry seeds and am going to start them when I start my tomatoes, etc. Hopefully I'll get at least a few that survive.

Going to try the three sisters method in a plot, corn beans and squash, just to see how it works.

I also got a couple of big, nice mayhaws to plant, and some aronias too.

Oh, and a dryland rice variety from Southern Exposure seeds.

11. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Japanese Burdock. I need a bigger container.

12. janandkenny

janandkenny Well-Known Member

13. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

The new thing I am hoping to grow is FOOD.

I am hoping THIS is the Year of the Garden.

14. Burbsteader

Burbsteader Well-Known Member

I am debating about what to plant. I haven't made up my mind about how much space to devote to fruit trees, berry bushes and veggie garden.

Here is a list of food plants I am considering

My wish list
    Seaberry
    Loganberry
    Boysenberry
    Serviceberry (Saskatoon berry)
    Prickly Pear -I was surprised that it thrives in the PNW (with good drainage)
    Bamboo-edible, runner variety (Must have containment!)
    Flowering Quince
    more Elderberry
    Grapes
    Tall Blueberry plants (5-7')

We had always planned on adding more fruit trees as well
    Debating between
    Quince
    Pears
    Cherries
    a 2nd fig

Because I am in town I am strongly leaning to plants that are not easily recognized, esp. in the front yard. For example, many people recognize blueberries, but how many would recognize seaberry or flowering quince as edible? I think this would help prevent food theft in the front yard in the event that food becomes scarce.

15. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I just spent the last forty minutes or so going through all my seeds.

I don't know if I'll be growing anything new this year, but I am REALLY going to be growing a lot.

Seriously!

No, REALLY!! I am! I'm going to use all those seeds up...

Why are you laughing at me? What's so funny?

:rolleyes:

Yeah...

Well, I'm hoping to get huckleberries off the ground this year. We'll see. :)

Pony!

16. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

17. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

im going to try to grow the usual things we tried to grow for the past two years. We dont have a well, and water delivery hasnt gone too well, and we were in drought the past two years. The kids got some tomatoes, and cucumbers, they werent too big. This year I have started putting up gutters and collecting rain water.One side of the house is almost complete and will start on the other side as soon as possible, when the spring showers start I can get a jump on the water situation, and hopefully be able to keep the garden alive. tomatoes, cucumbers, beans , squash, carrots, maybe some herbs, need lots of flowers for the bees.

18. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Dahlias! I've tried to grow them in the past and they always got eaten by slugs or sheep or something. This year, they are going in the fenced in garden, and hopefully will give me some pretty bouquets for the house. I'm expanding the vegetable garden by double this year, and hoping to get a bigger corn crop. I'm wintersowing some of my vegetables, and I'm hoping to find some jerusalem artichokes to plant. I want to try those this year, too. Most of the other things I'm growing will be the things I already know we really like. I'm going to concentrate on making sure we preserve more of what we raise.

19. Jerngen

Jerngen Perpetually curious! Supporter

Various herbs in pots (renting here). We have started seriously cooking from scratch this past year and can't wait to cook/bake with fresh herbs! :)

20. janandkenny

janandkenny Well-Known Member

Last year our vegetable garden tanked, so this year we are doing raised beds and going to sow in everything that will grow here.