what new chainsaw..

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by ericjeeper, Oct 22, 2006.

1. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Well-Known Member

I am thinking of a new saw.. something with atleast a 20 inch bar.
    I want something that will start and run when I need it.. and not have to dick with it.. won't be a homelite..last homelite weedeater I owned.. right on the handle it said."push primerbulb three times and,, Pull repeatedly.. " By god they meant repeatedly too. I am considering huskie, stihl and jonsered. I have good dealers locally for all three.
    Stihl does not allow internet sales..I can find a huskie 460 for 389. with two extra chains..

2. arcticow

arcticow Well-Known Member

Stihl hands down. I can take mine in from 60 below, warm it for 30 min. inside, crank 5-6times & go. Not bad. Farm Boss with 20 in. bar-no problems in six years.

3. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

I own 2 Husky's, 1 Stihl, and 1 Poulan.
    The Poulan is garbage.
    The Stihl is a good saw.
    The two Husky's are at the top of the food chain. I have a 359 XP and a 575XP. The vibration dampening system is superior as is the low end torque. These are chip making fools! Unless Husky changes for the worse, I'll never own anything else.
    BTW, Husky makes two grades of saws. One is the home market and they can be found at the big box stores. The XP line is the pro saw and it's worlds different.
    My 359 wears a 20 inch bar and I use it for most cutting. It's a great saw. The 575 is for cutting and felling the big old oaks I have and when you need a big saw nothing else works as well.
    Good luck.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I have a Husky Sthil and Poulan too! Stihl rates slightly ahead of the Husky but truth be told they're evenly matched. I'll buy another Husky before another Stihl but only cause i think they're a better deal. The Poulan is exactly what it's supposed to be. A cheap saw that if you use it consistantly will do a good job for pennies until it's junk which is only a bit longer than a Huskies break in period. (kidding) Store it away and you're going to fight it every time. I like my Poulan fine. Ummmm thinking about it we didn't use the poulan much this summer so it may be crap by now from sitting.

5. Countrybumpkin

Countrybumpkin Well-Known Member

Stihl for me. Got a 031, older than dirt, yet still is the best saw i've ever owned. I have newer Stihl's, and they are true workhorses also. I guess I just like that old saw- after all the cords I've cut with it, we know each other better than my wife and I do!LOL

6. lonelytree

lonelytree Guest

Stihl or Husky. Whichever has a saw shop near you. The rest are throw aways.

7. Stephen in SOKY

Stephen in SOKY Well-Known Member

Stihl 310 (New name for 031). Great machine, fair price.

8. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Stihl is now the top of the heap since Husky went to the big box store. The husky pro models are still great but most dealers have a sore butt from the way they've been treated. If you have a local stihl dealer that's the way to go. That's also why no internet sales, they do business the right way.

9. Dave S.

Dave S. Well-Known Member

I vote for stihl. I have had several Huskies that were great, but I have lost respect for them since they sold out to the big box stores. I have run a few Johynny Reds, but they didn't feel as nice to me as the Stihls, a little to wimpy feeling, although they performed fine. I only buy Stihl now, and I have a great dealer.

10. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I vote stihl, also. For the same reasons others mentioned. Husky is gonna have to cheapen them up in order to keep selling to the big boxes. You can't mass produce them for that market without sacrificing quailty.

11. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

You can’t go wrong with any of these three brands. But there is one thing that I want you to realize. All three of these saw brands built their fine reputations on saws that were built in foreign countries. At one time (about 10 years ago?) ALL Stihls were built in Germany. Today, only the top two models of Stihl are built in Germany, the lower end models are built in the USA, typically for weekend users and the residential market.

At one time all Huskies were built in Sweden. The lower-end Husky is also now being built for the big box stores. I see them all over the place at Fleet Farm, Home Depot, etc.

The same goes for Jonsered…BUT, only the bottom two models are built in the USA. The rest of the product line are still being built in Sweden.

So, what I am recommending is this. No matter which brand you choose, pick a model that is still built in the country of the brands origin. In other words, if you choose Stihl, pick a model that is still built in Germany. If you plan to go with Husky or Jonsered, pick a model that is still built in Sweden.

I have cut firewood for over 30 years and have owned nothing but “Swedish-built” Jonsered saws. I have nothing against the other brands. But Jonsered has served me very well for all of these years an d I highly recommend them.

12. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had 3 or 4 Jonsereds in the last 35 years, still own all of them and they all still run although the oldest 621 is pretty much worn out, and another one was found at the dump, froze up because it had been run without oil. My son disassembled it, cleaned it up and used it for 2 more years. But my son decided we should get a Stihl last fall, over my objections based on the old Stihl 041 that I once owned, and I must admit that the new Stihl saws seem much better than I remembered. Our new Stihl is an MS260 I think. I have a friend who makes his living as a forester and all his saws, used all day every day, are Stihls.

13. danb98577

danb98577 Well-Known Member

I have owned a Stihl 031 for many years and it just keeps on going. But....I repair logging equipment for a living and spend many hours up in the hills on landing sites. The ONLY saw I ever see being carried into the timber anymore is a Husky. Professional fallers are not patient men, and demand something that works day in/day out. If you are looking for homeowner/firewood saw I would back off to a stihl/Jonsered/small Husky. Likely a coin toss.

14. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

One thing that I forgot to mention is to never buy a chain saw (or other engine powered item, either, in my opinion) from a store that does not have a repair shop on the premises. If they can't fix them, don't buy it from them. A real chainsaw shop will sell you a saw that was running just before you took it home. They will start it up for you when, or just before, you pay for it, and they will be there next month or next year or in five years when you need accessories, chain, advise, parts, or repairs. The big box stores will just sell you a (cheaper) saw in a box.

15. Rickstir

Rickstir Well-Known Member

Missouri (Hard by the Elk Fork of the Salt River)
    I've had a Stihl 028 for 12 years. I friend at work was in an MBA program and their marketing class had to do an analysis of the small chain saw market. Stihl came out on top by a good bit. I only use mine 4 times a year or so, starts quickly and cuts well. What more can I ask?

16. Country Doc

Country Doc Well-Known Member

I have a Stihl 028. Tried a new echo-was horrible. Was told all the new saws are underpowered in torque due to the pollution cntrols. Bought another 028 on E bay and love in. Kept the original for parts.

Consider the E bay route.

17. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Well-Known Member

I have a local rental shop. That picked up the line this summer. He has about eight saw.. He is dying to sell one.. I really liked the 6400 series. Made in germany./ By the Oldest chainsaw manufacturer in the world. since 1927
    it retails for 519
    he is going to sell me one for 408 with a 20 inch bar and full chisel chain. I am going back thursday with cash in hand.. see if he will throw in a case..
    I found an excellent saw site. called arboristsite.com

18. deaconjim

deaconjim Appalachian American Supporter

I've got one that I really like. My dad bought it 20 years ago, and it sat up for about the past 18 years. I filled it with gas and fired it up in about 4 pulls. All it needed after that was an adjustment to the carb (see a previous thread on that subject).

I don't have a lot of experience with any of the others, but I am very happy with the Dolmer.

19. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Dolmar is good stuff.
    My preference is still the Husky pro series of saws, but you'd be well serviced with a Dolmar. I have a friend that made a race hot saw out of a Dolmar and it rips!

If you want better performance out of your saw, have the muffler modded. It's not very expensive and really adds a lot.

One can learn a lot about chainsaws at this site:
    http://www.arboristsite.com/

Read the "Chainsaw" section.

20. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Shindaiwa is as high a quality as any older Swedish or German saw. I own two Shindaiwas that I got cheap and having used them, I'd take them over any older Husky or Stihl. I've had chance to use newer high end Husqvarna though and I dont know what they did to the engine but it can saw circles around any older high quality saw with same size engine. Little hard to start cold (I imagine EPA is to blame) and has tinker toy chain brake design though. Had thing come apart when took chain brake cover off to remove chain once. Yuck, got it together but yuck. Still great saw to use, VERY productive.