Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 48 yo, have had no musical instruction, but have a desire to learn an intrument.

I would like to learn either the piano, violin or guitar. Am I fooling myself, is there an easier intrument I should start with?

·
..where do YOU look?
3,920 Posts
of those, the guitar is the quickest to 'pick up'. Some would say that the piano is 'as easy' and would give a better fundamental understanding of music. The violin is easily the hardest of the three in question.

R

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
The guitar might be easier for you. The violin doesn't have frets, so it can be difficult to spot the correct place to push down on the string.

Then again, a good violin teacher is worth a million bad guitar teachers, and vice versa.

Also, buy the best instrument that you can afford the first time. Good stringed instruments are easier to play because the strings sit closer to the neck. This usually equates to a more expensive instrument. Good deals exist on used, if you know what you are looking at, and will hold resale value better.

Bottom line??? Learn to play what you want to play, so whichever is your favorite, go with that one.

Clove

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
A kazoo! Anybody who can hum can play a kazoo! :D

Alrighty, on a slightly more serious note... hubby plays many instruments. He says guitar is the easiest. Piano after that... my DD plays violin.. not easy.

·
Premium Member
16,652 Posts
Definetly the guitar. I don't know anything about the violin, but I know that the piano takes quite a bit to learn, unless you're gifted in that area. I think it all depends on what you like. I play a little on the guitar and the piano, but I grew up around them. I'll never be good on either of them because I don't have that natural talent. You can tell what song I'm playing, but it's like painting by numbers. If that makes sense....

·
Registered
10,945 Posts
Banjo. Chords are very simple and picking is too. It only looks complicated. Get a Banjo, learn three chords and mess around with them. you will be amazed. I've messed with a Banjo for 35 years, don't know any songs but it still sounds good.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Our friend who teaches voice, piano, guitar, and harp, recommends learning piano first. You have all of the notes sitting in front of you, so you get a good visual for learning to read music. Take piano for six months or a year before picking up the next instrument. Any second instrument will be quicker to learn than a first instrument, so don't think you are cheating yourself out of time spent on violin or guitar.

My husband plays fiddle, banjo, music box, mandolin, flute, penny whistle, drum, and I forget what else. Once you learn to read notes with a piano, get a penny whistle. A penny whistle is very easy to learn.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I have always found the triangle to be the easiest to learn. LOL

Seriously, the guitar is the one that will have you playing something that sounds like music in the soonest amount of time. If you have rhythem, once you learn a few chords, you will be able to play a simple song or two.

For kids, I always suggest piano lessons first, because once you learn music theory and how to read music, it is much easier to pick up other instruments. As an adult I think you should just go for the one you feel interested in. You have the desire to do it, so that will help you keep going when if it gets a little hard.

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
of the three you mentioned, guitar is easiest if you just want to play chords and fingerstyles (finger picking). Another easy one, is Celtic harp. There is a book called "teach yourself to play the folk harp" by silvia woods that is good. The strings on the harp are color coded so you can easily find the c's and the f's. As long as the think is in tune, if you pluck the right string, it plays the right note. Whereas, the violin is done a lot by ear. There are no frets to tell you that the fingers are in the right position. You learn it with practice by the feel of the instrument, and by the sound of the song. Much more difficult that piano, guitar, or harp.

Cindyc.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
The piano would be my suggestion, but really, whichever one you love the most will be the easiest :). I played many instruments years ago, and then about 5 years ago picked up the acoustic guitar - it hurt my hands and fingers and I didn't stick with (even though I liked it very much).

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
I play the flute, clarinet and a little piano.

I'd say take lessons in what instrument you like, but piano lessons are a great place to start!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I've played trumpet for years, and play bass and guitar. I would recommend piano first. You can get an electronic keyboard for a reasonable cost (much cheaper than a quality guitar or violin), and it won't go out of tune. Just make sure you get one with full sized keys, so you can play a regular piano. The keys are laid out in logical sequence- it's almost like learning to type in time with the music. Although some guitar is easy to play, it takes a lot to master the instrument, and doubly so for the violin. Stringed instruments require hand strength, dexterity, and toughened fingertip calluses to play. Wind instruments require developing an embouchure (lip) which goes downhill quickly without regular practice. The piano will open the door to other instruments, and you will learn chord structure- the basics to all music. Cheap string and wind instruments are frustrating and difficult to play.

·
Premium Member
2,296 Posts
The Gong! Pick the one you want to play, They all take the same amount of effort. Desire makes them all easy. Enjoy. :)

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
RADIO is absolutely the easiest and you can play all kinds of music......

Alice

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
I say piano. It was easy, with lessons, for me to learn and I played very well if I must say so myself. Then I had to stop because it bothered my dad trying to listen to the news and whatever. It's been well over 30 years since I've played and can't remember a thing about it. Guess I'll have to take lessons again. I would love to. I have this piano just sitting here that my dh bought me for Christmas about 20 years ago.

My oldest ds learned how to play the guitar fairly easy, but stopped, on his own. My youngest ds, learned piano, but he too quit. Maybe one day they will get back into it again. My dh taught himself to play the harmonica and tried to teach himself the piano. Bless his heart. :)

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
of those, the guitar is the quickest to 'pick up'. Some would say that the piano is 'as easy' and would give a better fundamental understanding of music. The violin is easily the hardest of the three in question.

R
I agree with this. YOu can learn a few series of chords on the guitar and be able to sing along with your playing. If you can play by ear, the piano is easy, but if you are like me, you need to learn to read music. I do think the piano is a good first instrument to learn. I started taking fiddle lessons a few years ago. I have a great teacher. She said that for anyone over 30 to start taking fiddle, they will have to really work at it. She was right. :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
I had to learn to play "everything" to get my music ed degree years ago. My opinion: you'll do best with what appeals to you. What instrument is available to you? Who is available to teach you? If you have a local music teacher/store or know a school music teacher, ask if you can try different instruments. You won't make nice music yet, but you'll see how they feel and sound. I loved making and playing a dulcimer, but lots of people can't stand the sound. Just pick something and have fun!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I played serveral brass instruments in band and took guitar lessons for about a year. a few years ago I bought a hammered ducimer - don't play it much but it is the easiest instruments so far. Also not nearly as hard on your fingers :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
heart set on the violin, but after hearing what you all had to say, I think I will give the piano a try.

Only chose that over the guitar because once of my relatives has one of those lap/electric keyboards that I'm sure I can borrow.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts