Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
We farm for fun
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I live in N. Idaho and have a variety of breeds of goats. I have heard people talk about loose minerals they give to goats, and I don't know really what they are talking about. Are there some minerals I should be feeding my goats? I have non-milking does, wethers and one buck. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Goats need quite a bit of copper that they don't get through their food supply, so you need to give them a mineral. The loose minerals are better because the goats can't get enough of what they need from a block, plus there is a lot salt in them.

I just get a cattle mineral from my feed store. I asked for the mineral with the highest copper content and that's what we use. Purina also makes a loose goat mineral that I know people here have had success with. You just leave it out free-choice. The goats will go get some when they need it.

·
Retired Coastie
5,149 Posts
I have been happy with Purina "wind and rain". It's an all-weather loose mineral that does not cake together, it's more like little "BB's" then powder. It costs a bit but they love it, and very little is wasted...Topside

·
Retired Coastie
5,149 Posts

In case you newer folks have not seen this type mineral feeder, easy to make and lasts forever....Topside

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I have been happy with Purina "wind and rain". It's an all-weather loose mineral that does not cake together, it's more like little "BB's" then powder. It costs a bit but they love it, and very little is wasted...Topside
Does TSC carry this? We don't get Purina up here in the "Yukon" (not really, just feels like it). But a TSC is opening up here in February. I would love a mineral that didn't cake. Mine is a mess right now. How is the copper content compare and the iron too?

My friend was describing that very same thing to me that she built. Now I know what she meant. That is fantastic!!! Thanks for showing us that. I am going to get someone to do those for me.

·
Retired Coastie
5,149 Posts
PURINA WIND & RAIN® ALL SEASON 7 COMPLETE
Beef Cattle O n Pasture
INTENDED FO R FEEDING BEEF CATTLE O NLY
G UARANTEED ANALYSIS
CALCIUM (Ca), m in.............................................................................................................7.0 %
CALCIUM (Ca), m ax............................................................................................................8.4 %
PHO SPHO RUS (P), m in .....................................................................................................7.0 %
SALT (NaCl), m in ..............................................................................................................38.0 %
SALT (NaCl), m ax.............................................................................................................42.0 %
M AG NESIUM (M g), m in......................................................................................................1.0 %
PO TASSIUM (K), m in..........................................................................................................1.0 %
ZINC (Zn), m in..............................................................................................................3,700 PPM
M ANG ANESE (M n), m in..............................................................................................2,115 PPM
CO PPER (Cu), m in.......................................................................................................1,100 PPM
CO BALT (Co), m in............................................................................................................50 PPM
IO DINE (I), m in................................................................................................................115 PPM
SELENIUM (Se), m in.........................................................................................................27 PPM
VITAM IN A, m in..........................................................................................................50,000 IU/LB
VITAM IN D, m in............................................................................................................5,000 IU/LB
VITAM IN E, m in.................................................................................................................50 IU/LB
ING REDIENTS:
Dicalcium Phosphate, M onocalcium Phosphate, Processed G rain By-Products, Plant Protein Products,
Calcium Carbonate, M olasses Products, Salt, M ineral O il, Potassium Chloride, M agnesium O xide, Ferric
O xide, Vitam in E Supplem ent, Vitam in A Supplem ent, Cobalt Carbonate, M anganese Sulfate,
Ethylenediam ine Dihydriodide, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Chloride, Fenugreek Flavoring, Vitam in D3
Supplem ent, Sodium Selenite.
RUM INANT M EAT AND BO NE M EAL FREE
Q UALITY CO NTRO LLED BY PURINA RESEARCH
DIRECTIO NS:
Feed free-choice continuously from a sheltered feeder to cattle on range at the approxim ate rate of 4
ounces per head per day.
W ARNING :
This product contains added copper which can be toxic to sheep. Do not allow sheep access to this
product.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
the only purina mineral available to me has something in the realm of 95% salt which is terrible. you want a mineral that has around 12-14% salt. the salt is what makes them eat the mineral so it is essential, but too much salt and they don't eat enough of it to get enough of the other minerals. a good cattle mineral would probably be fine since you don't have working goats.

topside posted at the same time - that one has 38-42 % salt and for example 1100 ppm copper. my mineral is 14% salt and 2000 ppm copper. mine has less than 1/2 the salt and almost twice as much copper. more good stuff less filler.

·
Retired Coastie
5,149 Posts
Crazy, TSC does not carry the mentioned brand. It's made to be moisture resistant, I've never had it cake up. It smells so good I'm thinking about trying some. High levels of copper...Above is the ingredent break-down....Topside

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Minerals can fluxuate from state to state, county to county, and even farm to farm. I recommend contacting local goat breeders and ask what they feed for minerals, and how it's working for them. Perhaps someone on HT is from your area & can help.

Here is a map that may be useful, you can go to your county and it lists various minerals & averages, mins & max's. What you feed will make a difference, also.

http://tin.er.usgs.gov/geochem/doc/averages/se/usa.html

HF

·
Retired Coastie
5,149 Posts
Curly this bag is expensive but will last your small herd a long, long time especially with minimal waste....Topside

·
We farm for fun
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all very much. I'll do some calling to see about what people in this area feed for minerals. Also, what illnesses could come from lack of minerals? I would like to know so I can keep an eye out incase I've got anything going on since I haven't been feeding minerals yet.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
ADM makes a mineral mix for goats, and Sweetlix also makes a mineral mix....one for meat goats, and one for dairy goats.

·
We farm for fun
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only thing available in my are is Land O' Lakes Rangeland Year Round 8 Complete. Has anyone had any experience with this brand?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
minerals (in the right balance to each other) help to build blood, enable muscle contractions, construct placentas, make milk they affect everything! and that is not an exageration. goats that do not get enough copper for instance lose pigment in their hair, develop anemia, have poor bone development.. this list goes on. Minerals must be carefully balanced. for instance too much iron reduces copper absorption. if their is more phosphorous than calcium in the diet it can cause urinary calculi (in males especially), and death from low calcium in pregnant or lactating animals. selenium is another important mineral for goats that you will hear much talk about (not that they aren't all important). inadequate levels of selenium result in weak kids at birth etc....

fyi all animals, humans included need balanced minerals in their diet. us humans have access to a wide range of food from all over the world and have a bit easier time meeting our mineral needs (if we eat healthy) than do our livestock that have all their feed brought to them or graze/browse on lands that may or may not be well mineralized or contain adequate amounts for each species hence their feeds must purposely contain adequate and balanced minerals or have them offered to them in the form of a salt mix.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
is this it? http://www.betteranimalsshowseries.com/product_pdfs/honor/Beef/Rangeland YR8 1990166.pdf
doesn't look to bad to me and probably good for non working goats at least. one thing to check is the color. I see iron oxide in the ingredients. if the mineral is reddish colored than it contains too much iron if it is grayish then you are ok as a general rule.

by the way - ignor the the warning not to feed it to goats. that is bunk leftover from the days when people thought goats had the same requirements as sheep.

·
We farm for fun
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
is this it? http://www.betteranimalsshowseries.com/product_pdfs/honor/Beef/Rangeland YR8 1990166.pdf
doesn't look to bad to me and probably good for non working goats at least. one thing to check is the color. I see iron oxide in the ingredients. if the mineral is reddish colored than it contains too much iron if it is grayish then you are ok as a general rule.

by the way - ignor the the warning not to feed it to goats. that is bunk leftover from the days when people thought goats had the same requirements as sheep.

That is the one. Thanks for the color advice.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
TSC does carry a loose goat mineral but you have to badger them to get it. !st time they tried to sell me a block, 2nd time was rude, third time caught someone that knew what I was talking about said they did not have it instock but we spent 30 minutes on their computer finding it. He had to order it but got it within a week ( just so happens the only one willing to be helpful also raises goats.)
I can't seem to find it on the web site but got my bag and it is made by manna pro salt 12-14.4 copper 1350 ppm

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
topside posted at the same time - that one has 38-42 % salt and for example 1100 ppm copper. my mineral is 14% salt and 2000 ppm copper. mine has less than 1/2 the salt and almost twice as much copper. more good stuff less filler.

Yes but the whole picture may be that your copper only comes from one form copper sulfate. Copper sulfate up into the high 1000's or 2000's is meaningless. You want at least copper oxides, copper amino acids, copper chloride or chelated copper, not just copper sulfate which in high numbers does more harm to the rumen than it does improve the copper stored in the liver.

A mineral with several forms of copper, with no iron...then deal with the rest of the numbers considering what you have wrong or right in your area. Vicki

1 - 20 of 39 Posts