What Milk do you Drink and why?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, Mar 5, 2005.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I drink store bought skim milk and use it in cooking. If I had a choice I would want to drink fresh goat milk from goats I raised.

If you drink milk as a normal part of your diet, which kind?
    If you had a choice to drink other kinds of milk, what would it be, and why?

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

w drink fresh milk from our nubians. why, because we like it, it is good for you, and it is free from all meds. which store bought milk has in it. ours has nothing in it, but natures finest. So we drink it, make butter, cheese, and soap. and yogurt. we love our goats, and their milk.

3. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

We have been drinking goat's milk from our goats but dh and the kids prefer cow's milk so as soon as I find a cow we will be going back to that.

Oh, we drink it because we know what is and isn't in it unlike the store bought stuff and it just tastes better imo.

4. glenda

glenda Well-Known Member

Right now until we have our goats we are drinking powder milk. We use it in cooking and for our daily use. You can make yogurt out of it and cheese also. And you have it here no matter what happens to the electric.
    glenda

5. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I buy organic milk when I can find it. We don't drink a lot of milk and are thinking about getting a couple goats.

6. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

I drink skimmed milk, DH and the boys drink full fat. In cooking I use whichever we have the most of at the time, but I prefer skim in white sauces and full in deserts.

I would prefer fresh cows milk from our very own jersey or dexter if I could find one locally.

7. All country

All country Well-Known Member

Right now we are drinking fresh raw cows milk. We feel blessed to be able to get it from a friend.

We have goats, 5 of them does. We lost our buck and the does didn't get bred again last fall so none are milking. We just put a deposit on a young buckling. We are looking forward to fresh goats milk next spring.

When we have a choice we drink fresh raw goats milk. We raise them, know what does and doesn't go in them and feel better about it. When they are milking our 5 does will give around 8-9 gallons of delicious milk a day. We make cheeses, butter,yogurt, kefir, & soaps. We share the surplus with friends and the rest goes to the pigs. It will give you the best tasting pork you've ever had.

8. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been thinking about getting a doe for milk. Right now we use store bought half and half in our coffee and tea. To drink, I buy whole milk. Most of it goes into making kefir cheese. I've always bought whole milk because if the milk doesn't have at least 2% fat, your body can't absorb the calcium, and we don't drink enough milk or junk food to worry about too much fat.

9. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I drink raw Jersey milk: a pint with breakfast, a pint for lunch, a pint with supper, and several pints during the day when I think I'm hungry.

Herself and I drink a full gallon every day not counting cooking, Kefir, Cottage cheese, butter, hard cheese and ice cream.

10. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

I drink pasteurized milk from my Holsteins, and we skim it. We go through a gallon every other day as there is just two of us. To me, nothing beats an ice cold glass of milk.

Why do I drink it. It's there. I'm shipping about 550 gallons every day, so I'm just taking a little bit of what my herd produces. It sure tastes good to me, but whatever else anyone wants to drink is fine with me. To each his own.

11. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Fresh, raw, whole milk from my Toggenburgs. No milk right now- the does started their vacation last week and there won't be any milk until the end of April. I just finished the last of the goat milk yogurt and I miss it already!

There's a family dairy that sells at some of the grocery stores here in MN- Blackstar Dairy. No BGh and really really good yogurt. Mint and wild blueberry are 2 of my favorites of theirs. I'll buy their stuff in the dry months.

12. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

We drink whole raw milk from our tank. We have Jerseys and Jersey/Norwegian Red crosses.
    We have goats too but I prefer Jersey milk over goat's milk.

13. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

We have friends who have a jersey dairy just a few miles away and we buy fresh raw milk from them. The law require them to sell it for non-human consumption only, but what I do with it when I get home with it is my business.

We were milking our own jerseys, but it's difficult catching the cows in heat to rebreed them, and we get the same milk from our friends that we were milking ourselves. It's easier (and cheaper) for us just to run down and pick up 4 or 5 gallons at the time a couple of times a week.

14. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

We drink fresh raw Jersey milk, make our butter, buttermilk , soft cheese and kiefer from it also. We supply my sister and her family with milk. 6 people in that family, so none of our milk goes to waste or to the animals.

15. LittleBelle

LittleBelle Active Member

We will drink raw cow's milk again once the cow gets fresh. :)

16. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

2% from Wal-Mart or the grocery stores, depending on who has the sale. I use it to help settle the stomach. Family drinks this at about 3 gallons a week when its on sale. Otherwise its non-fat powdered milk.

I drink whole goat milk when I can get it - helps keep a friend's goat hobby goiing and I prefer the flavor. But its expensive, $2.00/quart jar, so its really just a treat at lunch about every other day.

17. reese

reese Well-Known Member

right now fresh goat milk from the dairy case at the store "meyenberg" brand at :( 2.69 a quart, would prefer to have home fresh raw, but can't be quite that picky right now.

18. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

We drink raw goat milk when we have it, but I just dried my milker off so we won't have goat milk again for a few weeks. The new doe we just bought is due to kid pretty soon, by the end of March if not sooner, so we'll have milk again pretty soon. I actually like goat milk *better* than cow milk, but you have to have the right goats.

Kathleen

19. homestead2

homestead2 Member

We are drinking milk from one of our beef cows right now. She had more milk than the calf could take and we were still a month from our Guernsey having her calf. We are pasturizing it because I don't want to spring for the $50 to test her for TB and Brucellosis, being as how she is our "temporary milk cow."
    She had never been milked before, so it was a little bit of a circus at first.

When the Guernsey is fresh, we will test her and use the milk raw. (Our vet reminds us that we live in a TB free, Brucellosis free area, but we test her anyway.)

I agree, there is nothing like an ice cold glass of fresh cows milk.

homestead2

20. jeffinmaine

jeffinmaine Member

I drink raw Holstein milk. Brucellosis is gone...... raw milk is as safe or safer than pasturized. I have been drinking both organic and conventional raw milk for a long time. no problems. Most of the percieved problems with raw milk are myths....

At the moment my milk is organic, though only because I am currently managing an organic herd. I would not have a problem with conventional milk, even BST milk to drink. However, I am very much against the use of BST becasue of the stress it puts on the cows