What makes the best compost?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MillsFarmFamily, Jan 4, 2006.

1. MillsFarmFamily

MillsFarmFamily Well-Known Member

We have cows, horses, goats, a few chickens, and even pigs. My question is any one of those animals' manure better for composting than another? We let the chickens scratch through the horse manure before composting too. Also added to my composting pile is lots of old hay, coffee grounds and misc fruit/veggie scraps that any animal won't eat (onion skins, etc)

2. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Heck, it all looks good to me!

I know that some manure is "hotter" than others, but if you compost it all anyway, parts is parts, IMO.

The only manure I know of that you can put right on your plants is rabbit. My hope is to get me some of them long-eared critters this year to test it out myself. :)

Pony!

3. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

I think Cow manure is supposed to be the best poop to compost with...but...our cow pats are out in the paddock and it is really hard work to walk around and pick them all up. Whereas the goat poop in the goat house is already composting with the hay and straw on the floor ready for me to shovel it into feed bags to stack outside for it to compost some more. I add nothing more to it...it goes straight out to the vege garden and I plant straight into it. Cow manure you have to water down first. But you sound like you have the best combination working at the moment....dont fix what aint broke. :)

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    What is the best compost material? What ever is free, non labor intensive, and on hand. Do try to keep it in balance, do not let one type of material overwelm the other types. Anything organic works, water weeds, manure, grass clipping, whatever you have. Do avoid wood in that it takes forever and robs some of the nitrogen. I would not put in any wood bigger than a pencil.

5. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but why is it ok to use pig manure in compost but not dog waste? I've always heard not to use dog waste (which is fine by me, because it's way more gross than horse/goat/cow/rabbit/etc.), but I thought it was because they ate meat and the way they digest things--so it could cause disease to enter your garden. I've learned by reading this site that some people also give their pigs meat to eat, and I imagine their digestion wouldn't be toooo much different than a dog's.

So, what's the story?

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Dogs frequently have parasites that can be transmitted to humans thru feces. But you can use composted dog manure in an ornamental flower bed.

7. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

My dog gets checked annually for parasites, and he's fine.

I have no more problem using one type of manure over any other. IMO, once it's composted, parts is parts.

Pony!