Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using a sandalwood soap from India (the best: from the govt soap factory in Bangalore :goodjob:) It is a hard soap and long lasting. A lot of ordinary commercial soaps are soft and dissolve so quickly (even without a little kid digging their fingers into it :grit:) What causes this difference?

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
oil types play a big role, but the first thing that comes to mind is moisture content. take some of your commercial soap, unwrap it and stick it in a closet for a few months and see how much it hardens when it truly dries out. it should last longer in the bath/shower that way.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oil types play a big role, but the first thing that comes to mind is moisture content. take some of your commercial soap, unwrap it and stick it in a closet for a few months and see how much it hardens when it truly dries out. it should last longer in the bath/shower that way.
That's interesting! I think I'll try that. I like to keep my soap in clothing drawers to lightly perfume them, so I'll just take them out of the wrapper first.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Betcha there are some good hard oils in your sandalwood soap. Lard or tallow, palm (olive after a good cure).
Gosh, can you get your sandalwood soap cheap? Is it made with the EO? Sandalwood EO is liquid gold at, well, way more that I can afford per ounce!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts