Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this in an e-mail this morning from a hunting partner:
Excerpt from e-mail, last names x'd out.

Subject: xxxxxxx Bear hit with a combine

> Date: Thursday, December 4, 2008, 1:11 PM
> (this is a note from Larry's cousin Arica xxxxxx. Her
> dad hit the bear just south of Prairie Farm from where we
> grew up. The lady in the picture is Neil's wife Phyllis
> xxxxxxx)
>
> Hi all:
>
> > My dad (Neil) hit this bear in with the combine last
> Wednesday night about 20
> >
> > miles north of Menomonie. Hanging weight (no insides)
> of this bear was 618
> >
> > pounds. Rough measurements from head to tail (no legs)
> 7 feet and around
> >
> > the heart girth he was 6 ft around.
> >

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
Bet that tore up the combine.

:D Al

·
Karaoke Queen
964 Posts
Not uncommon in Wisconsin. A couple months ago, a cop hit one right outside of town. Last year, one was hit on the highway - my son was on his bus and got to see it right after it was hit. I almost hit two (mom and cub) up north awhile back.

I love bear meat!

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Wow, being a avid bear hunter with numerous kills....none compare to that trophy, That is truly a once in a lifetime black bear...thanks for sharing.

brownegg

·
Registered
720 Posts
Quick question. Just how are they levataing that bear? I see no ropes or such. Kind of looks photo shopped to me. The bear must be froze solid for the legs to stay like that if it hung up.
Bob

·
MacCurmudgeon
2,246 Posts
Quick question. Just how are they levataing that bear? I see no ropes or such. Kind of looks photo shopped to me. The bear must be froze solid for the legs to stay like that if it hung up.
Bob
It is photo shopped, but it be a good looking bear for one so dead.

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
Oh my, I use to live about 12 miles north of Menomonie!

We rented a farm for one summer while building, and one morning the horses were both out in the pasture though we put them in at night. They had somehow both jumped over the gate accross the back of the run in shed. Only thing we could think was a bear came in the front half and they headed out the back half. After that we started closing the big sliding doors.

Another time my husband had just came home and got out of his car in the dark. He saw something ambling towards him, and took off running to the house. He didn't get a good look, but said it was too big to be a dog and didn't more like one would. The folks who had the place before us also had a resturant in town, and made a habit of bringing the garbage from the resturant and leaving it in the dumpster they had empted every couple of weeks. We didn't have a dumpster, but I think the bear got use to coming for a free meal.

Bears weren't common, but they were around. Though most where in the 300 lb range.
Did see one dead along the highway once too. But that wasn't as bad as the time I saw a dead horse along the highway.

Cathy

·
Super Moderator
9,758 Posts
I hadn't read it but , what what he doing running the combine dec 4th all of our corn has been down for weeks i don't think i saw a single feild with corn as i drove accross the state 2 weeks ago.

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
We had a real wet fall here in SD, and there is still a lot of corn in the fields. And we've already had four snow falls, with the last one on Monday. Some are thinking it won't be until spring before they get it all in.

We've had a pretty nasty corn harvest season this year. If things had frozen before we got snow, it would have been a lot better.

Cathy

·
Registered Doofus
362 Posts
I hadn't read it but , what what he doing running the combine dec 4th all of our corn has been down for weeks i don't think i saw a single feild with corn as i drove accross the state 2 weeks ago.
Pete, there's still corn in the fields up by me. But the foot of snow from 2 days ago probably would be a combine deterrent!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hey Pete,
I am over by Darlington. Out north of town there still is corn in teh feilds. Man the deer are in heaven there right now.
Bob

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The picture is real. It was taken by the Glenwood City Tribune weekly paper. This bear was hit about 10 miles from my house.

When I first heard about this, I thought it had been run over, but it was stabbed by one of the points on the combine head.

The bear is at a local locker waiting to be measured as it may be a state record, or at least near the top of the list.

There is still quite a few acres of corn in the fields up in this area. Spring was about 3 weeks in showing up, and everything got backed up. Once corn was ready to come in, the stands (quality of the stalks) were good, so MANY left those acres in the field to continue to dry down to lower their LP drying costs. With frozen ground and around 2-4 inchs of snow, they are making good time right now.

We now have enough bear/car accidents that they are no longer news makers.

·
Registered
135 Posts
IF that picture is real,.... where'd they find the 2' lady to pose next to the bear?????

·
Registered
135 Posts
Besides the woman being only 2' tall,.... what is she doing to that bear with her hand?

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts