What kinda sheep to get.

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by fitwind, Apr 11, 2006.

1. fitwind

fitwind Well-Known Member

my DH and me are intrested in getting sheep but im sorta at lost there are som many different kinds and are they hard to take care of would like something good for butchering and also something that will have some kind of market i have 14 acres to use what are the ups and downs and what would be some of your suggestions.

2. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Do a search of sheep breeds, and research each one individually. You probably don't want big sheep, at least not until you are comfortable with taking care of smaller sheep. Look for breeds that are excellent mothers, easy birthing, good hooves, and easy keepers (thrifty). If you aren't interested in fleece, get a breed that is a hair sheep, or one that has a short fleece. Walk around your 14 acres and observe where there is good drainage and where there is poor drainage. You will want to keep your sheep away from the puddles in the spring, but graze them there later when everything is drying up.

They are easier to keep than some livestock. Still, you will need to rotate their grazing or you will end up with a poor pasture. Rams will need to be separated from ewes until you want them bred. If you don't want to breed, then don't keep a ram.

3. seymojo536

seymojo536 Well-Known Member

Check out Shetlands, you'll be glad you did!!!

4. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We have St. Croix ewes. They are excellent mothers. We only had a problem with one and she settled in to her new role after a day in the barn with baby.

5. Ranchermom

Ranchermom Sam at the Pecan Ranch

Depends also in what area you live in will depend on which is available in your area that wont cost you an arm and leg to ship else where.

Do you want wool or not? Do you have the market in that area for it?
    Do you have someone to shear?

Sam