what kinda goat do i have?????

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jun 23, 2004.

1. [​IMG]

thats not my goat, but mine is colored like that one only lighter brown....

she's built exactly like this one but with dark eyes
    [​IMG]

and how do i know if she is pregnate...i've had her for about 2-3 months and her bags have looked full since...her belly stays larger than normal
    i read that goats stay pregnate for about 150-155 days, is this true?

2. that post was me...im still wondering, the first pic i was talkin about didnt show, here it is:
    [​IMG]

3. mimsmommy

mimsmommy Active Member

I am soooooo not an expert, but she looks like an Alpine to me. I believe alpines can be colored that way-- she might be an Alpine X. A cross is more likely if the previous owner didn;t know what she was either. she is a pretty goat though! My four year old, Mim, said "Wow, what a pretty goat --with added dramatic sigh--!"
    mimsmommy

4. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

Hard to guage height and of course, without knowing, she could be a cross but she looks like a Nigerian Dwarf to me.

5. MC nli

MC nli Guest

I agree with Trisha I will bet you anything she is a nigerian dwarf doe. She doesn't look like a alpine cause her head isn't right neither is her body type. How tall is she would you guess?

MotherClucker

6. mamasaanan

mamasaanan Well-Known Member

She's not a Saanan! Maybe an Alpine/Toggenberg cross?

7. havenberryfarm

havenberryfarm Well-Known Member

Looks like a Nigerian Dwarf to me too. They are known for their colorful coats.
    Beautiful doe. Congrats. I am jealous. :)

8. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Yup, the first picture fairly screamed Nigerian Dwarf. The second looks like maybe a Nigerian or Nigerian cross? How tall is she?

9. grannyjenny

grannyjenny Member

I was thinking Nigerian dwarf and maybe some nubian??? How big is she..that would sure help figure it out

10. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

and how do i know if she is pregnate...i've had her for about 2-3 months and her bags have looked full since...her belly stays larger than normal
    i read that goats stay pregnate for about 150-155 days, is this true?[/QUOTE]

Goat's gestation period is 150 - 155 days, yes. Basically 5 months. If she has had kids before her bag can look full to the inexperienced eye. Once they are in milk the udder enlarges and stays that way...

Have you checked with her previous owner to see if she'd been run with a buck? How old is she? What kind of diet was she on? If her belly seems larger than normal, has it been that way since you got her? Possibly pregnant, possibly "hay belly" or fat... I'd check with the previous owner to see if she'd been bred, whether deliberately or or accidentally! :)

-Sarah