What kinda dehyrator do youns have

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pumpkinlady, Jun 6, 2004.

1. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

I want to purchase a food dehydrator and was wondering what type you have and how you like it. I am considering an Excalibur but Cabela's has one I like too. If I get on from Cabela's I can use my free points and get one for about half price. I am looking for something with a lot of trays and a square footage for drying. Thank you...Laurie

2. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

15 years ago I got a Harvest Maid from a local cooking store. The brand is called American Harvest now (1-800-288-4545 www.nesco.com) I just saw an ad on the banner for American Harvest dehydrators. I've used it at home and in my classroom, so it's had double duty over the years. The features I like are the fruit roll up tray liners, the mesh tray liners for smaller veggies (like peas), and you can buy as many fo the trays as you want to allow for more space. I've made tons of jerky from their spices and ground meat (beaf, caribou, elk, etc.) I would highly recommend it to anyone. I've even seen Walmart carry some of the accessories like the jerky spices. Hope this helps.

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Mine is twenty drawers and fan powered.Got it at the thrift store for 3.83 cents marked "FURNITURE" Still had the original manual in it.Can make 50 lbs of jerky in 2-3 days.Now THAT was a bargain!
    BooBoo

4. Homesteader

Homesteader Well-Known Member

We have the Excaliber 9-tray one. Works great.

5. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

We also have the Excaliber 9 tray model and we love it. It is great. I also have the fruit leather sheet for this model and it is really nice too. We use it all the time. I would highly recommend it. I would also recommend that you call them when ordering it and ask for an additional discount and any extras for free...I did and they gave me a discount and all the screens for the 9 trays and the fruit leather sheet for no additional charge. I was thrilled. I was going to get the smaller one but went with the bigger one because of that.

Belinda

6. babetteq

babetteq Well-Known Member

for fruits and vegies we just use screens on wood frames and the sun. for meats I use the oven after I've done a batch of bread. You can get an awful lot of meat into an oven by using extra racks.

7. LisaBug

LisaBug Well-Known Member

Two Excalibur's here. The smaller 4-tray is 20+ years old and the larger 9-tray is about 16 years old. Neither one has given me a bit of trouble. These are used to dry almost anything plus make yogurt. The larger one can even be used to raise bread they say although I've never tried it. Wouldn't trade mine for any other model.

LisaBug

8. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

i have a homemade one..
    but i used to have others, , cant even remember the brands now, just make sure it has a fan and a heating element

my home built one has 6 trays and a fan(24x24) , in a plexiglass box, that i put on my porch , for solar heat, i have to watch it when it gets really hot, but i have slides to control the air flow, so it works pretty well....
    i have a thermometer inside, and i can see that from outside, since its plexiglass....

good luck !

9. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the advice. I can hardly wait to buy one and start drying some fruit. When I was little, Grandma always made dried apples in a warm oven. I just loved eating that special treat in the winter! :)