Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what kind of sheep these are? Bought them at an auction and looked online and couldn't really spot a breed... thanks,

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,598 Posts
They are crossbreeds . Im pretty sure they are part Katahdin, but what they are crossed with is "iffy". Could be some Dorper in there too, but the wool breed could be most anything

·
Registered
281 Posts
crossbreeds looks like they've got some romanov in them, the spotting reminds you of a jacob sheep but they don't have the heads

·
FourCountryGals.com
149 Posts
The heads to me look a little like Merino with that white topknot. Here's picture of one of my Merino/Suffolk crosses.

Merino/Suffolk cross ewe with twins

If I knew how to add a picture here, I wouldn't have to put up the link.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I took the photos to work and a guy thought they were Suffolk.

When I tried to catch them to worm them you would think they were crossed with Gazelle... :)

So when are you supposed to shear them? Should these be sheared (shorn)? or should I wait until next spring?

·
78,598 Posts
If they have much Dorper or Katahdin in them , they may shed a lot of that wool on their own

They dont look anything like any Suffolk Ive ever seen though

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what do you do with these? Can you shave them and get the little bit that doesn't shed, or are these meat sheep?

·
78,598 Posts
They can be sheared anytime. If they are "hair" sheep the wool probably wont grow back. If you want wool sheep they can be bred to a wool breed ram

Any breed can be used for the meat, but hair sheep have a milder flavor

http://www.sheep101.info/breedsT-V.html#Suffolk

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
kesoaps said:
Not suffolk. The white one's face looks just a little Cheviot-ish to me.

Crossbreds taste good...
Yep - that whitefaced has Cheviot in it for sure. That would explain the woolless heads and legs on all of them. That spotting pattern looks a lot like the Dorper crosses I've seen, too.
Interesting sheep. Are they lambs or adults?
Lisa

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Adults? I think. They are as big as my boar goats... Let me see if I can find another photo...

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[/IMG]

Sorry about the rear shot. The one on the left is the male sheep. On the right is the boar goat.

·
78,598 Posts
MWG said:
Adults? I think. They are as big as my boar goats... Let me see if I can find another photo...
A Dorper/Katahdin cross could be that big at 7-8 months old

Heres one thats about 80 lbs and he's not even 3 months old yet:

Heres a couple of pics of one of mine taken a year and a half apart to show how much wool she lost on her own:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts