What kind of worm is this?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by 1farmgirl, Jan 6, 2005.

1. 1farmgirl

1farmgirl Well-Known Member

I found some worms in my goats' icy drinking water this morning. They look like the smaller red earthworms, except they have kind of a blunt one end and a slight whitish other end. And they were moving in the bottom of this iced over tub. I just wormed with Cydectin last month. Can this be more worms from my goats? I can't find any info on what kind of worms these would be so I would know what to worm with.

Kathy

2. GoatTalkr9

GoatTalkr9 Well-Known Member

We had worms something like that a few months ago. I walked into the barn one day and they were all over the goat berries. It was weird,not tapeworms,but close. I took the samples to the vet and he gave me a fancy name,but it was a sheep worm. He recommended Panacur. I had wormed with Cydectin 3 weeks prior to this. I asked if Safe-Guard would work and he said to try it,if it didn't,go to Panacur. We used Safe-Guard at 4 times the horse dosage,and the worms were gone.I don't like Safe-Guard,but it DID work on these. He had told me to worm,then worm again a few days later,then again in 10 if I didn't see immmediate results.We haven't had them since,knock on wood.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Worms in your water trough wouldn't be coming from the goats unless they are pooping in them. Likely birds. Worms on the ground in berries are always tapeworms, there are no other worms that you can see with the naked eye. And worms found over already pooped out berries likely came from the soil.

With Cydectin not touching tapes, in my herd I would not use another wormer just to get tapes, they are of importance in an adult goat. Now knowing you have tapes, I would use something like Valbazen 1cc per 10 pounds as my wormer of choice the day the does kid, it's my infant kid wormer anyway, since tapeworms are only a problem in kids. Vicki

4. 1farmgirl

1farmgirl Well-Known Member

Ok, I have crows like you wouldn't believe :mad: (Anybody have any solutions? I'm a bad shot and I'm afraid I'll hit my goats!) Can they be contributing to this worm problem? They have no fear of my goats whatsoever. They just sidle right up to the feed troughs like they own the place. Also, I had a couple worms I put in a jar to look at them closer, and so on whim, I put a drop of bleach in. They keeled over. Is it ok to let goats drink water with a little bleach in it(several drops to the gallon ratio give or take). These are my expectant does and my yearling does. There wasn't anything else in the water trough, so I don't think they pooped in it.

Kathy

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

There isn't anything that the crows could be eating that would harm the goats even if they did drink the worms :) Now if they where walking around in the barn going from pen to pen, they can spread cocci on their feet, but we do a good enough job of that without blaming the crows. My crows are also brazen, they won't even leave the barn when I walk in anymore! But they don't bother anything really only eating grain this time of the year that is leftover. I do have shade cloth (really it's landscape cloth) over the openings in my barn so they can not eat the infants grain when it's in free choice, I couldn't afford to feed that many crows free choice!

If you do get a few crows with your 22, my son's Webelo's Boy Scout group came out and shot one each, they then put the bodies on fire an mounds with 5 gallon buckets over them weighted down. About 2 weeks later the fireants had picked the bird clean leaving the bones. They took the heads and made neckerchief slides with them, running the ends of their neckercheifs through the eye sockets. They painted their patrol symbol on the forehead of the skull, they where a hit! It's probably not PC now, but then I don't think anything fun is :) Vicki