What kind of woodburning stove for manufactured housing?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Hip_Shot_Hanna, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

We live in a double wide manufactured home. We'd like to put in a small wood-burning stove for our main heat source, and for the self sufficiency of it. (The central heat furnace is electric! $$$$$$)

So.. we are hearing that only certain types of wood stoves are to be installed in a manufactured home. Does anyone know what type that is, and where to find them?

Thanks!

HSH

2. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

My previous home was 640 square feet, and the woodstove I bought was mobile home certified (for lack of the proper words).
    I think if you go to any store that sells a few models you'll find what you're looking for- or at least get a catalogue that includes them.
    Mine was a "Pacific Energy" brand, was reasonably priced and was a wonderful addition to my home- and was payed off in just one winter season not having to purchase propane! (Wood is free for me).
    The stoves you'll be looking at have different clearances, I believe.

3. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

For a double wide, especially in Texas, I would get something really small.
    I think something that you can heat up a pot of tea on is a nice touch also.
    You could also heat up a jerry can of hot water and put it in the bathroom.

These are very nice, and reasonably affordable. 63% is a good honest rating.
    A friend of mine has one. It looks really nice and works very well.
    http://www.vermontcastings.com/content/products/productdetails.cfm?id=135

p.s. I wouldn't bother with the outside air supply. They just don't use that much air.

4. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

Some areas just don't allow wood heater, stoves in manufactured, trailer homes. We bought a vermont cast heater seven years ago but it would void our homeowners insurance unless we have it installed by approved installers, problem up to this time there are no approved installers in the area. If we install, have a fire, we have no insurance coverage to pay for the damage could lose our home and still owe the morgage company for it. Not a good thing.,

5. CrownPoint

CrownPoint Well-Known Member

We have a 28x60 Fleetwood Manufactured Home. For the last 5 years we have heated it 24hrs day/7 days a week from Oct/Nov to April. We have a Vermont Casting "Aspen" model(their smallest stove at the time). We burn maybe 3 full chord a year and the furnace only kicks on when it is -20 below around 4 AM for a very short time until we get up and stoke the stove again. We have one ceiling fan in the living room and a small metal fan behind the stove to push hot air around the house. Wood heat is the best heat, will never be without it.

By the way....we live in Northern NY on the Vermont and Canadian borders.

6. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

I'm suggesting a soapstone stove made by Woodstock in Vermont. A little pricey...but worth it. My parents have used one for 20 years. They take very little wood to keep a house warm and the soapstone never gets hot enough to burn if you touch it...great for people with children or visiting grandchildren. Check it out on the web for Woodstock Stoves....they will send you video and literature with price list. They have several sales a year and if you live close enough you can save the shipping costs. :)

7. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Please check your homeowners insurance policy prior to putting a wood burning stove in your manufactored home.

Hugs
    marlene

8. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

As mentioned check with your insurance agency to find out what they will allow and still be covered.

Also check out www.outsidewoodheater.com. This is a until designed specifically for a manufactured home or a stick model with ductwork in a crawl space. It sits outside, draws its incoming air from the ductwork and vents to a single location through a wall or window. Inside chamber is a modified standard drum and can be replaced every couple of years.

When this unit was discussed in a prior thread someone said they essentially put the unit in a type of shed where their firewood was also stored.

9. collegeboundgal

collegeboundgal -Melissa

http://www.outsidewoodheater.com/page14.html

sorry didn't relize someone else had one. we LOVE ours. but you do have to go outside to put wood in it. but, I feel much safer with the fire outside of the house. (moble home) their's no smoke smell at all. but you do have to have elec. to run the fan, so if no elec. you need to but the fire out so you don't burn out the inside barrel.

melissa

10. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

We have a 1500 sq ft double wide and just put in a Quadra fire wood stove for last winter. It's either the smallest or next to smallest one they have. It heats our whole house just great! We had to get it professionally inspected after installation for our insurance, but no other problems.

The installers said that you do have to do things a little different for code reasons with the installation. It has to be completely bolted to the floor just in case the house is moved or something. I would think you should do that in a regular house too, but whatever. I guess they are heavy enough!

kids

11. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

That's the stove my friend has and I want. Great little stove.

Don't go burning 3 chord though, no matter how cold it gets.
    Furniture maybe, but never the musical intruments. :p