what kind of winter is coming?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BeckyW, Aug 8, 2004.

1. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

The board has already been commenting on the lower temperatures this summer. "Old-timers" here in northern Colorado have told me this is how they remember summers years ago. I noticed a new flock of Canadian geese arrived on one of the golf courses this week.

Any observances/thoughts on what kind of winter is coming?
    BW

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Many years ago, a pioneer family moved west. After putting up a huge haystack, the father told his son to go ask the old Indian who lived up the mountain what the coming winter would be like. The son went up the mountain, and said to the old Chief "oh great and wise old warrior and chief, what will the coming winter be like?" Thje old man scanned the horizon, and finally said "bad winter". The son returned to his father, and they got busy and added morer hay to the stack. The father again sent the son up the mountain to inquire about the coming winter. The old chief says "really bad winter". The son returned, and they put up even moor hay. The father sendsd the son up the mountain one more time. He asks the old man...."oh great learned, wise, and brave old chief, what kind of winter will we have?" The old man says " Bad winter, very bad winter, worst winter ever...." The son says "oh great chief,m how do you know this?" The old chief scans the horizon one more time, and says "white man make really big haystack......"

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I've heard TV meteoroligsts say the average of the daily high temps for the year never varies over 1.5 degrees. Since the first part of the year was on the warm side, and the summer is on the cool side, we should be about even on the average so far. That means the last part of the year should be in the normal range as far as temps are concerned.
    The degree days record that heating fuel companys keep to know how soon you need more gas or oil would be interesting to check for the difference from one winter to the next.

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I checked the "Old Farmers Almanac" web site to see what they predicted the winter to be like. I mumbled to myself that it is just a repeat of what we got last year. Oops! Upon looking further, it was last years forecast as the new edition won't be out until September.

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Last summer in colorado it was cooler than usual, so everyone said it would be a really cold winter. It actually turned out a bit warmer than usual.

6. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in this part of Missouri we've had an unusually cool summer. It's been getting down into the 50's at night here in August! We've gotten rain about once a week, hard to put up hay but there's plenty of it! So that should mean a dry, mild winter for the most part, right???? OR a terrible winter, lots of snow, ice, and really cold temperatures. Have to wait for those wooly worms, they will tell me.

7. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in Washington state we have had a very warm and very dry summer. The leaves are starting to turn but that is probably because of lack of rain more than cool temps. Our weather here is a lot warmer than it used to be years ago, both summers and winters. We usually still get LOTS of rain though. Its been a great summer for getting work done but I am a bit tired of having to water all the time. Thank goodness we have a good well.

8. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Great story tinknal! Thanks for the wise words oh great one ;) :worship:
    BW

9. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

well here in this part of texas I've seen the cardinals around when they normally don't come till about september sometime. The fuzzy worms are darker then normal and the katydids are plentiful and alot of them are dark so going by that I'd say it's gonna be frosty this year.

10. deviator12000

deviator12000 Member

You can always ask the weather man. He's never wrong.