Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow. I just got back from my child's middle school, where they had such a professional and elaborate veteran's day program. Those kids--hundreds of them--were so nice, so respectful, seemingly so happy to be there and applaud not only each other when they spoke or sang or played in the band, but all those military parents, grandparents, and friends who came. It was truly inspiring. These may be scary times, and there may be rotten people in the world, but events like this--thank goodness--remind me, for one, that the world can be a very beautiful place.

How were you inspired today? Please share!

·
de oppresso liber
16,879 Posts
The kids here are out of school today. I personally took a few minutes at 11:11 to remember absent friends.

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
I am flying the flag in honor of my father, who was a veteran of WWII, Korea & Viet Nam, and DH's father who was a veteran of WWII & Korea, as well as all veterans past and present.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
My kids have been asking me to go since they started school (oldest is in college now). I don't participate because I didn't do anything special, I just did my job. I like to leave the spotlight for those veterans that did the real work.

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
After the religious service at church this past Sunday, the school children stood up in front of the church and sang the songs of all the diffeent branches of the U.S. military. On a screen pictures of the members of our church who served were shown. It was rather emotional because many are not with us anymore.

Cake, coffee and juice were served in the Common's area.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I don't participate because I didn't do anything special, I just did my job. I like to leave the spotlight for those veterans that did the real work.

You served your country and that makes you special in my book. You don't have to be "under the bombs red glare" to deserve recognition. You helped ensure our freedom in whatever capacity you were meant to serve. You took the step and offered your life so others could live free. Your life was spared so you could teach others in whatever capacity you were meant to teach. I thank you for your service and my freedom.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I ran into town to get supplies because I had the day off. I didn't observe it in the traditional way, besides, back during Nam I "observed" 1460 Veterans Days. That's a 4 year contract with Uncle Sam.

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
We fly the flag everyday to honor our Army son and all who are serving or have served. We went to a parade that he was a honor guard in; all the little towns around here have programs for Veterans day. DEE

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
My kids have been asking me to go since they started school (oldest is in college now). I don't participate because I didn't do anything special, I just did my job. I like to leave the spotlight for those veterans that did the real work.

Thank you for serving, I can understand your feelings.

When my darling husband came back from the first Gulf War, he was invited to be honored at the high school football game, he attended for his family, but it made him very uncomfortabe, he was in the early stages of PTSD, but it hadn't been really recognized yet...it was so soon afterwards, but it turned out to be very severe and is still very debilitating (he's on 100% disability).

Now we have always have a quiet day at home on veterans day, we both feel that these events are very important, but they are just too hard on him. :(

·
Registered
677 Posts
We just got back from the school patriotic program this evening. My daughter and son where participants. The songs they sang where very cute. I think my favorite parts where when they played the themes of each branch of service and had those participants stand. They had young uns give each a little American flag. Then they had a slide show of relatives of the kids that go to the school. It was amazing to see so many families who have each been touched by the military. My dad was in the Army and i was so touched to see an older gentleman shake his hand. There was also a young man there in his full Marine uniform. It makes me very proud to live in America.

·
Registered
179 Posts
We didn't do anything special here. We planned on having a little cookout, but the guys put the steaks out to thaw too early. When we looked at them before starting the fire we wisely cancelled it and went to the Dining Facility (DFAC). I have found that most holiday celebrations are subdued in Iraq. Most of the soldiers here consider themselves to be "just another Joe" doing a job, but one they take a quite and personal pride in doing. Most are a little embarrassed by a lot of attention when they are home, at the same time it means a lot to know the folks support you. Thank all of you who pause even a moment to reflect on veterans. I am soon to leave Iraq, but not everyone in my Battalion with will be coming home. Please pause again on Memorial Day. In the center of our DFAC is a table set with a fine linen table cloth, fine china, polished silverware, and a vase of fresh flowers at every meal. Nobody sit's there and above it hang's an embroidered tapestry that reads "All gave some, some gave all" in gold thread. Its more than a T-shirt slogan to us. Thanks again for every prayer or kind word for a veteran. Hope you had a blessed Veteran's Day, we did.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I always spend the day alone remembering friends, neighbors, relatives, and those who served with me that gave their lives.I used to get terrible sad on veterans day thinking about the young lives sacrificed but now I feel an enormous amount of pride in what these people have done for the rest of us.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I, too, attended a school ceremony, early morning at the high school. The part that I can never get past without tears is the empty chair, with rifle and boots... As a band mom,and mother of a trumpet player, I find the playing of taps very touching as well.

Very touching and a special thanks to all who have, are and will in the future serve.

dawn

1 - 13 of 13 Posts