What kind of tomatoes should I......

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by greenboy, Sep 20, 2005.

1. greenboy

greenboy Well-Known Member

What kind of tomatoes does well in Pennsylvania, I read an article about a new kind of tomato developed by a professor this tomato is developed very hardy for Pennsylvania, and I believe it have resistant to frost. Did you guys heard anything about this? I just want a variaty of tomatoes for Pennsylvania, This year I planted " Red girl" for one they are not red at all but pinkish, they do well
    and produce well but they "cracks" close to the stem, and my wife has to cut like a third of the tomato, is you don't want to feel the scab of the tomato. Any
    suggestion is welcome. I will be greatful :bow:

2. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

I would guess that most tomato varieties would grow fine in Pennsylvania. Are you worried about a shorter season not giving you as much of a harvest? If so, there are early season varieties that might be what you're after. See if you like any of these:

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/early.htm

As for the cracking, I've grown varieties that tended to crack if I let them ripen completely on the vine. Try picking them before the stem-end has completely turned color (and before the skin has split) and leave them on your kitchen counter to finish ripening.

3. plantaholic

plantaholic Active Member

go to gardenweb forums and ask the Penn. forum yourself, there is also a tomatoe forum and boy do they know maters.

4. greenboy

greenboy Well-Known Member

thanks guys for helping. But where is the plant forum? here?