Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think everyone has a bit of snobbery about them.
In my case it's certainly about coffee. I'll drink 'usual '
stuff at work , but away from there it needs to be fresh
ground from arabica or better beans. I blend a dark roast
usually with columbian. It goes on, and it annoys some.
C ' est la vie.
There are other snob issues I possess regarding some
fishing equipment and types of animals I keep .

You. 'Snobs' out there.....let's hear it!

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
I am unapologetically a Mexican food snob!

I have eaten REAL Mexican food. Really really good real Mexican food. It is very difficult to find the good stuff here north of the border.

I am also a quilt snob. Quilts should be hand stitched and finely stitched. Ok...nobody :lookout:

LOL...I drink instant coffee. Obviously not a coffee snob.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,437 Posts
I'm a goat snob. Probably barn blind, but I'm sure *my* goats are friendlier, prettier, healthier, and produce better than anyone else's!

·
Shut the front door!
15,001 Posts
Food, in general.
Pearls. They have to be real...no fakes allowed
Fur and Leather; ditto.
Shampoo and Conditioner
Soap (goats milk soap, only)
Pepsi (when I drink soda, which is rare)

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
Had to think on this one a bit.

Good shoes, within reason(to $90). If they're not comfortable, it's not happening!

butter, not margarine

mayo, not salad dressing

I'm also a bit picky when it comes to my fruit, I like it to be fruit. I don't want it mixed up into a salad, or even worse-jello. There are a few fruits that I can handle baked, but not many.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Maybe some of the hiking gear I've bought over the years was a little pricey, but I think/hope the motivation was safety/reliability/comfort rather than snobbery. Some of the tools I buy are top of the line, but again, I don't think I was being snobbish, just trying to avoid losing my religion working with something that doesn't work very well...like yanking the cord on a cheap chain saw that refuses to crank.

On the coffee front, I usually use the Folger's coffee bags...works for me. On the chocolate front, I like a Hershey's Kisses just as well as the Godiva stuff.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Some foods, generic isn't always the same. Orange juice. Tropicana Pure Premium or comparable. Coffee. Definitely coffee. If it wasn't made that day, I don't want to drink it. no more reheating yesterdays leftover stuff. Not too keen on the stuff that's been in the coffeemaker heating for 3 hours either.

Good Mex above the border? Holy Cow! The farther north you get, the worse it gets. Az had some good Mex, go 1000 miles north, its pretty grim.

Malamutes. I like dogs, I love Malamutes.

Boots. Used to buy Red Wings. The quality seemed to go downhill the last several pair of Loggers I owned. The last pair lasted less than a year and were falling apart. The dealer gave me my money back and I bought Hathorn Smoke Jumpers. Best $300 I've ever spent on boots. Been rebuilt once, and will get it done again before too long. They've been fantastic. I'm very hard on boots.

Winchesters in lever actions. 1886's, 1892's, and 94's. Pre-64 is good, pre-war is better. Brownings make acceptable substitutes. Marlins,...meh (the 39 is nice though). A good 1903 Springfield sporter, or a Mauser sporter, or a Ruger tang safety M-77, I'm all about them. Other makes of bolt guns,....meh. If I'm going to buy a scope, its going to be a Leupold. They are sharper, clearer, and more reliable than most lesser scopes, and the factory backing seems very good from all accounts, though I've never needed it. Life is too short for poor quality scopes.

Smith & Wesson revolvers. Other than Ruger single actions, they are head and shoulders above anything else I've used or seen, for out of the box, or slicked up actions, clean trigger pulls, overall toughness and reliability (even over Ruger single actions). The Ruger single actions are OK, not spectacular, but clean up nice with action work. They are more comfortable to shoot heavy loads in, but otherwise take a back seat to Smith & Wessons overall. Older Smiths being far and away better in general, though some of the newer guns are good shooters.

Tools I try to buy good tools. They generally work better and last longer. Old draw knives are much better tools than any I've seen on the market recently, and cost less.

...like yanking the cord on a cheap chain saw that refuses to crank.
I ran my chain saw today to cut up some firewood. It almost fired on the first pull. I haven't run it since last fall I don't think. I never put any stabilizer in the gas, just add gas (same gas as last year) and it fired up quickly. Another thing that's worth spending real money on, good chain saws. Mine is a 20 year old Stihl 036. Cut LOTS of firewood, built several cabins with it, and its never had any major work done. I cant remember a real tune up, ever. New spark plug a couple times, keep the air filter clean, good mixing oil, decent gas, and it just keeps on going.

B

·
0 Posts
I'm a food snob...everything must be the "best" quality..no off brands..no plain mustards, no boring cereals...coffee...sigh...still searching for a quality decaf...can't find it...love, love, love to see how the meal looks on the plate..:)

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Knitting needles. They must be the best...German engineering goes for needles also...pricey but worth it. Yarn, must be a natural fiber. Acrylic anything will not do...for me.....! When I sit down to knit, it is my relaxation/meditation time. The best materials make a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Knitting needles. They must be the best...German engineering goes for needles also...pricey but worth it. Yarn, must be a natural fiber. Acrylic anything will not do...for me.....! When I sit down to knit, it is my relaxation/meditation time. The best materials make a huge difference.
Yes this! I started knitting as a way to utilize the miles of homespun yarn I was producing. Artificial yarn is just nasty stuff once you have experienced homespun. Especially homespun alpaca. I pick up knitting needles in Mexico that are slightly flexible and a joy to hold. I'm not sure what they are made of, but I've not found them in the US.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
must be a natural fiber. Acrylic anything will not do...for me.....!
When I was an incoming freshman moving into the dorm and away from home for the first time, a couple of guys from Hong Kong were my neighbors, Serge Wong and Franklin Wai. They wanted to go shopping for some bed linens as they did not bring anything like that half way around the world with them. We went to every store in town trying to find them a wool blanket (kinda' hard to find wool blankets in the South in the late Summer for some reason). They absolutely refused to buy an acrylic one, calling it "man made wool" with little or no functional value. I never looked at fibers the same way after that day of shopping. Your comment above reminded me so much of them.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Food. I'm spoiled. I despise pink slime. I like grass fed grass finished beef. I like true free range chicken. I like eggs from true free range chickens. I like vegetables that have been ripened in the garden, not on a window sill. I like fruit that's ripened on the tree, vine or bush, not in cold storage or by means of a chemical spray. I hate wondering what my food was sprayed with and would rather have something that maybe didn't look as pretty but I knew was good quality than something beautiful that was either doused in carcinogens or had the flavor of waxed fruit.

I like clothes that are functional. I buy HEAVY US made jeans and they last me years where the junk from Walmart lasts a few months at best.

I like quality tools and would rather pay dearly for a good tool than suffer with some piece of junk from China that I curse every time I use it.

I like good jazz... and very rarely hear it.

I'm spoiled. :)

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
I'm a mattress snob, gotta have decent support and be big enough, I can be a very restless sleeper and have ended up on the floor to many times. Food can't stand processed food, real butter whenever possible. When I'm home I can get all the real butter and fresh from the cow/goat milk as I want :happy:

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
Laundry detergent, I don't use off brands. Shampoo, Diet Coke, Ocean Spray cranberry juice, name brand tools. If I am paying to have something to be built or even doing it myself I want the top grade material used even when a lesser grade of say sheet metal will do I would rather drop the extra money to have the best gauge same with lumber and shingles. Bed linens and mattress have to be top of the line. In the long run quality always wins.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I like real butter
Miracle Whip
Heinz ketchup

Reactions: elkhound
1 - 20 of 41 Posts