What kind of shrub ??

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by Thumbbuddy, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Thumbbuddy

Thumbbuddy Well-Known Member

I have seen a shrub growing alongside of the highway, I have no picture of it--here goes In the spring I thought it was a elderberry plant but they were not in bloon and the berries were like a white cone,elderberrys are in bloom now and are unbrella shape blossoms in clusters, this other plant now has clusters of red berry's now, has leaves like elderberry plant, It is not sumac or elderberry, can anyone help indentify it for me??I have seen a shrub growing alongside of the highway, I have no picture of it--here goes In the spring I thought it was a elderberry plant but they were not in bloon and the berries were like a white cone,elderberrys are in bloom now and are unbrella shape blossoms in clusters, this other plant now has clusters of red berry's now, has leaves like elderberry plant, It is not sumac or elderberry, can anyone help indentify it for me??

2. Thumbbuddy

I have seen a shrub growing alongside of the highway, I have no picture of it--here goes In the spring I thought it was a elderberry plant but they were not in bloon and the berries were like a white cone,elderberrys are in bloom now and are unbrella shape blossoms in clusters, this other plant now has clusters of red berry's now, has leaves like elderberry plant, It is not sumac or elderberry, can anyone help indentify it for me??

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

perhaps a sand cherry or chokecherry.

pick a fruit and see if there is a big seed inside like a cherry seed.

4. tillandsia

tillandsia Well-Known Member

Where are you located? It helps to put this info in your profile. Are the leaves compound? If so, probably not a cherry. A picture would really help minimize random guessing. If that is not possible, try to key it out. Here is an online key to woody plants you can try:
    http://www.cnr.vt.edu/DENDRO/DENDROLOGY/idit.htm

5. Thumbbuddy

I am located in luzerne county, Pa. I have no access for taking pictures of it, will try later when I can post pictures. It is almopst idential to elderberry bush except it already bloomed and has bunches of red berries on it now and the elderberry bushes are now in bloom with white flowers.

6. renee o'neill

renee o'neill Well-Known Member

7. chris30523

chris30523 Well-Known Member

Does it have a leaf like a dogwood??We have that around here and the locals call it bunch berry.Does not have much of a bloom then clusters of berries but the leaves look like dogwood

8. Thumbbuddy

No chris, it does not have leaves like dogwood, leave pattern and bush are almost identical to elderberry bush, I am trying to get someone to get pictures of it and elderberry to show the difference and will try to post pictures. Thank you.

9. tillandsia

tillandsia Well-Known Member

Try googling Sorbus americana.