Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not that great with my sheep ID, but I have seen some at the auction that I really like, and would like to know what they are. They are all horned, and are a smaller breed of sheep. The wool is not of merino type, but has a slightly shaggy longer look to it. The rams have tightly curving horns. The faces are gray splotched and speckled, and sometimes the horns are striped when the heads are heavily colored. Body wool is usually an off white color. The heads are free of wool, as are the legs. I have not seen tails on them, but I don't know if all sheep are docked as a rule. They remind me of Cheviot or Jacob in size. The closest I can find to them have been Scottish Grayface, but they still don't quite look right. I saw a picture of one on one of the forums here, but can I find it now :shrug:?

Anyway, I was hoping that someone might know what I am looking for. Please offer up suggestions!

Kelly :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Could be Shetlands? Grey is a dominant color pattern, with darker faces and lighter colored bodies, and many have white specks and blotches on their faces...
This is also the time of year that a lot of the extra rams are going to Christmas market.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Ditto on the Shetlands, I just saw several at the auction as well....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts