What kind of rabbit do I have?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by BlessedMom, Mar 25, 2005.

1. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Okay, this lady advertised that she had an Angora Rabbit that she wanted to get rid of. Daughter went off to college and left rabbit.
    I wanted one for spinning.
    came home with a sweetie of a rabbit. BUT it is not an Angora!!
    It has really no hair to spin. His hair is very soft, softer than our New Zealands.
    I have him here on my website

thanks!

2. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Looks like a Rex to me. Nope, nothing there to spin, is there? But he is a handsome devil!

3. 2horses

2horses I'm a silly filly!! Supporter

I was going to guess Rex as well - may have to make velvet outta him instead!

I have a friend that raises Jersey Woolies - can you spin their hair? Not that I want to or will, just curious..... they seem to have a LOT of hair. I prefer my velveteen rexes instead.

Pam :cool: <------ is planning to breed her doe this Sunday

4. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

A broken Rex.... broken referes to the color pattern. Now, as for the color- chocolate or blue, perhaps?

Look and see if he has curly whiskers- that's the best part of the rex.

Their fur has no guard hairs or something, that's why his coat is so luxuriously soft. Shame, the only way to get it is to do him in (and he's hopin' you're not gonna do that, I bet)! Nope, nothing to spin. The woman just got mixed up between rexes and angoras (or she is dishonest)

Don't be too upset with him- he is "The King of Rabbits"!

Or if he's about 4 pounds (the standard rex is about 9), he's the "Heir to the Throne"- the Mini Rex. Either way, check the standard! You might have landed a show quaility one.

5. BlessedMom

okay, here's what I can tell you about Bun Bun. LOL..well that's the name he came with. He is just a sweet guy.
    He is LARGE. We have NZ rabbits and he is right there with them. He is white with a greyish marble? Almost a silver. He is sooo soo silky. Just like velvet actually.
    He does have whiskers that kinda curl up a bit..not reall curly but more like a "wild hair". LOL!
    The lady that gave him to us, her daughter had purchased him from a 4H person at a county fair in another area.
    He was purchased last August. So I would say he is coming up on a year old.
    Our county fair only allows the 4H kids to show rabbits that they own the parents and these are the babies. In other words, you have to raise your own.
    Might put him in open class. But I have to know what he is and what the standard is for him.
    We just brought home 3 french angoras. OH my..they are going to take some work!

Thanks!
    Lori

6. BeatrixP

BeatrixP Active Member

Hey where did you get a picture of my buck??? Just kidding, but he does look just like mine. Your description of silky is a clear indication that it is a rex. My guess from the picture is broken blue. Here is a good website with color descriptions and basic breed standards. Great looking rabbit.

7. BlessedMom

Thanks!
    But I didn't see a link?

Thanks again!
    Lori

8. BeatrixP

BeatrixP Active Member

9. BlessedMom