What kind of pig

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by famer_manda, Apr 18, 2006.

1. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

I would like to get a pig or two to fill up our freezer with some good pork ribs, bacon and etc...

What kind of pig is most cost effective? Right now feeder pigs are for sale but they are all about 75 bucks because the demand is high. I remember seeing them for sale for 25 bucks towards later summer last year. I would rather pay 25 dollars for one. I dont need to butcher at a certain time of the year so I dont mind having a slower growing one as long as the cost doesnt change a whole lot. We plan on feeding them table leftovers to suppliment their feed as well..

What should I be looking for?

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Have you asked around enough to know that you have a choice? If you do that is awesome. There were only two guys in my area that had pigs and one guy bought breeding stock from the other so your essentially getting the same pigs from both guys. I don't think I would worry about breed so much. Any pig you raise yourself will taste great and I'd be willing to bet you'd come in with similar costs on raising whatever breed you can get. (Unless it's a potbelly vs. a Duroc LOL) In order to cut costs #1 I would make sure you are getting a healthy pig. Nothing will run up the costs of raising an animal more than a sick or dead one. #2 like you mentioned, I would buy off season. I know right now is a big time to buy. Alot of kids are buying their 4-H pig for the fair and in most areas the weather is finally nice enough to have a pig outside with little effort. I'm new at this so maybe someone with more experiece can give you a better answer.

Heather

3. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

when do 4 h'rs stop buying pigs?

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

I'd say that buying feeder pigs for the fair has got to be pretty close to being done. Maybe another month? County fairs seem to run between July and September. They want to buy a weaner early enough to have a butcher hog ready for showing.

Heather

5. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

for our area, the 4-Hers are finished pretty much. There are still a few calls here and there. We sell our left overs for butchers. We ask what ever the sale barn is averaging. We use the higher end, as we know our quality is good.