What kind of pen to build?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by danemom, Sep 27, 2005.

1. danemom

danemom Active Member

The end of November we will be purchasing 2 pigs for my son to show in the youth fair in March. The best one will go to show, and the other will go to the freezer.
    How much space will they need, and what type of pen would be best for them? I want to make sure they stay inside the pen and the neighborhood dogs stay out! I have a large pole barn, and have been considering putting the pen 1/2 under the barn. and the other half under a big shade tree. We have a good bit of chainlink fence my DH would like to use, i was thinking of those metal panels. I have also seen some people put them in a small area, completely covered, the pen was built from 2x4's and plywood. What do you think would be the best materials to use? How big does it need to be?

Susie

2. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

3. Snuffy Smith

Snuffy Smith Well-Known Member

16 ft. hog panels, and T-post.

4. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

We built ours using 16' hog panels and t posts. 4' on center for the posts and steel siding along the bottom of the panels so the hogs can't see out.

We feed them 24 hrs a day using a galvanized hog feeder. The water is supplied with a 55 gal plastic food grade drum and a paddle/bowel spigot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

The book Raising Pigs Sucessfully will tell you how many sq feet per pig. The bigger the better. I am raising 5 pigs in a pen that is 35' by 25". MY priorities: #1 No hogs outside of the pen EVER. #2 Cheap is the name of the game for me. My post are usually what i can find (just call be fred sandford) if your chain link is 4' tall I would use it, i like to bury my fence. I buy roll fencing 100' by 4' for like $50. metal t post are quick and easy to remove later if you wish, and want to spend the cash. the fencing i buy has 2" by 4" holes in it (i like it small so little hands are less likely to reach into the pen. I thought you had to raise both a gilt and a barrow for fair? you do here anyway.
    I am in my fourth year of raising hogs, i have had pigs outside my pen once, that was when the gate was left unlatched, the gate no longer swings outward :rolleyes: :1pig:

6. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

I use an old corn crib for my hog pens.

They are wire cribs. Each crib "ring" is made up of 4 sections and 5 foot tall. The bottom ring had a doorway I use. The top two did not, so I just strected them out a bit.

I have water and a small feeder in each one. I have a trap covering the outside SouthWest sides for shade. I keep 4 hog in each pen.

After each batch are done, I move the pen to fresh ground.

You can find corncribs just about anywhere. Their value is your time in taking them down. Climb the side and tie a LONG rope near the top. Cut off any bolts, chains etc holding them to ground. Tie rope to truck, etc and pull them over. Yes they will survive the fall just fine.

7. Cray

Cray Member

Siryet, how do you keep your automatic waterer from freezing in the winter? I purchased a hog waterer (spigot) just like the one you have pictured. I was going to hook it into a stock tank instead of a plastic drum. I thought about putting a float de-icer in the stock tank but I'm afraid that the spigot will still freeze up.

8. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

We don't raise hogs in the winter so we don't have a freeze up problem but when we did have them in the winter (1 Time only) we watered a couple of times a day and used an open water trough.

9. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

½ - 1 acre of used up pasture fenced with 2 strands of high tensile electrified wire. 4-6 pigs will till the area, eat all the vegetation and fertilize it well for replanting the following year. I feed and water them in bullet-proof plastic traughs that masons use for mixing cement. I raise them for a November harvest and if we do get a freeze, the porkers just smash through the ice and drink the unfrozen water or eat the ice! I do make sure they have plenty of H2O. Usually isn't a problem for me, though. The last couple of weeks before going to camp no-return I move them to my finished-for-the-season gardens and let them work their pig magic on those areas. They really love the 'leavins' and I don't have to till in the fall.

10. danemom

danemom Active Member

Thanks for the links and all the info. I'm still not sure what we are going to use, but I have lots of ideas now! When I was in school, we had steers for the youth fair. This pig thing is a little new to me. I want to make sure that the pen is dog proof. Working as an animal control officer I have seen too many kids lose their project hogs to dogs getting in the pen and killing them. Don't want that to happen here.

2story - we can only show 1 hog at the youth fair we can have 2 weigh in though, just in case something happens to one of them.

I have a couple other questions that I feel silly asking , but I honestly don't know

What is the proper name for a castrated male pig?
    Does anyone know how much weight gain can be expected per day or per pound of feed ect. Our initial weigh in is November 19, maximum weight limit is 70# . At the weigh in at show time March 11, minimum weight is 230#. Maximum sale weight is 275#, so if the hog is over this, buyers only have to pay on the 275#
    I am so confused....

Susie

11. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

danemom- I'm no pig expert, but I believe that a castrated boar is a barrow.

2story- are your pigs full grown? if not, is that enough for them when they're adults?

12. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

I believe it depends on the age at which it was castrated. If castration was prior to developement of secondary sex characteristics, then a barrow, if after, then a stag. As adults stags will look like a boar with tusks etc, whereas a barrow will look more sow-like