What kind of paint?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by longshadowfarms, Apr 27, 2005.

1. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

We're finishing up redoing a kid's room (gutted, insulated, new drywall). I've painted the walls with a latex semi-gloss paint. I have foam mats in red, blue, green and yellow for the floor. I'd like to have the kids paint the bottom half of the walls with red, blue, green and yellow hand prints (the walls and trim are cream colored). Should I use regular latex paint for that? I have fingerpaints in the colors I want but I've done that on plain brown paper and it is really thick so it takes a long time to dry and sort of leaves a texture. I don't think I want texture. I'm a bit afraid that regular wall paint will be a bit thin and might run. I also have another kind of paint that is formulated for kid's art work that is mid-way in thickness between finger paint and wall paint. It is washable but I am not convinced of how durable it might be once dry. For a kid's room, it MUST be durable! Any thoughts or ideas for what will work or won't work? I DO know that I will only have one child "printing" at a time for sanity's sake!

2. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

I would use latex, the higher the quality the better. Sherwin Williams Duration is the best interior/exterior but were talking $40+ a gallon and I don't think it comes in quarts which is what you probably want to buy for the handpainting.
    I would use flat paint, this would make the handprints stand out some more. Fingerpaints would probably chip off as the kids "bump""pick at""etc.".

3. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

With any paint the hand prints will be there for ever. Just went thru that with a rental AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

mikell

4. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

You can now purchase small amounts of your fav. color paint from Ben. Moore! I think it's pint size... Just ask them for a scrubbable paint. I love these little sizes no more wasted paint!

5. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

mikell, do you mean that if you try to paint over with a light color, that the bright colors will bleed through? I painted over dark trim in that room and it did take about 4 coats (2 primer, 2 of the regular coat) but that didn't bother me that much. My dining room trim is cobalt blue which ought to be REALLY interesting to try to paint over! Or are you talking about something else? I had not thought about painting over the texture some day. Will have to make sure we don't go too heavy on the paint.