What kind of Hay? and ...

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by shepmom, Sep 23, 2003.

1. shepmom

shepmom Well-Known Member

Here's a dumb newbie question....

What kind of hay to feed Barbados blackbelly.....does it really matter? available locally-Timothy hay, Alfalfa hay horse quality (5.50/bale),Oat hay,Orchard grass, and Coastal Bermuda (closest to my location)

and mineral/salt block with 18% protein or protein block with minerals-16%????? Does it matter?

I'm getting everything ready for my little flock, I hope to get in October. (2 ewes and 1 ram lamb)

2. Hey no one answered this, and I'm curious also for input. We are interested in Barbados sheep also. Thanks! Brad

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I've never kept Barbados but I really can't see that it matters much. I'd look for a mixed grass and legume hay and feed some grain supliments as needed. Those protein blocks might be fine but be sure they do not have added copper. One of these days I'll get around to posting a basic feeding guide, unless someone beats me to it!

4. For a Barbado, plain mid-quality grass hay is acceptable, with no additional grain needed. This is a tough breed used to scrounging, and overfeeding could cause you problems.