What kind of goats are these????

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jill.costello, Feb 27, 2005.

1. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

Hi folks,
    Now that my two darlings are old enough/big enough to breed, I'd like to find a billy that looks like their breed..but I don't know what they are!
    As far as I can tell, my goats are the most beautiful goats in the world... (grin)

Their most striking feature is their faces- they have HUGE, doey eyes and a broad, DISHED forehead, that tapers down into a TINY muzzle....TINY!! I consider them the "Arabian" of the goat world. "triangular" is the term DH uses....
    They have rigid ears- slighty higher than horizontal, and horns that sweep up and back in a slight curve, like a banana. They both weigh about 70 lbs. One is solid silver color with faint white stripes from her eyes, down her face. The other is like "Agouti"- mixed hairs of brown,black, and white that visually look like brown, with an off-white/tan belly and black stripes from her eyes down her face.
    They are cousins AND half-sisters: their mothers were sisters, and their father was the same. (no, I'm not in alabama.... ;-)
    Any ideas where they got the gorgeous faces??? And what breed of Billy would compliment and continue that dishy-faced/tiny muzzle trend??

Thanks! -Jill

2. tduerson

tduerson Well-Known Member

Can you post a Pic of them. That would help alot.

Tina

3. jill.costello

Help! I have pics of the silver one...just not sure how to post them....

4. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

That's not funny.
    :haha:

5. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

IF you had a picture that would help alot. now how tall are they?
    because a pygmy at 70 pounds is big enough to breed, but an alpine, or nubian, at that weight is not. a full sized goat, should be about 90 to a hundred pounds before breeding.
    see what I am saying? so I guess we need a picture before we can help you out.

6. jill.costello

Oh My! I thought for sure they were 'ready'.....How should I judge their weight most accurately? The smaller one is actually the older one- almost 1.5 yrs. The larger silver will be 1 yr. in April....

PLEASE- someone tell me how to post their pictures!

7. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Just from your description, coupled with their ages and weights, I would guess they are either Pygmy or part pygmy. They should be fine to breed in that case, but you'll want to find a small buck to breed them to. Don't breed them to a full-sized buck.

Kathleen

8. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Did anyone see the cover of Dairy goat journal recently? On the website there is a pic with a super black striking Nubian? goat. Its a funky looking beast compared to what I have experienced. Funky but strikingly fascinating....

Is it really a nubian?

Maybe jill can send her pic to someone who knows how to post???

9. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Jill, do you have the pictures posted on another site, like webshots, or Yahoo!?
    If your photo is up soemwhere else or you would like to e-mail it to me I could post it for you.

SkyLark_RKR@yahoo.com

10. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

[​IMG]
    This would be Cayenne in the background and Coffee with Jill, I am assuming, in the front.

[​IMG]
    This is Cayenne.

"The silver/grey goat is Cayenne; she'll be 1 yr in April and is 28" from the ground to the back of her neck (2 inches higher in the rump). The little brown one, Coffee, is 1.5 yrs old and shorter by 3-4 inches (but weighs about the same) Coffee is SPECIAL; she probably shouldn't factor into the determination- her mother refused her at birth but suckled her twin (the twin is now 2x her size and a 'normal goat' in every way- even out-grew their mother); Coffee was weak and couldn't walk for almost a week while we bottled-fed her with her own mother's milk; she eventually started to function like a normal goat, but has always been pretty "slow" to catch on to things AND slow to grow and develop. Some people have said that she might be a "true" dwarf; not just a small goat, but actually having the dwarf gene (which would be why her mother refused her, and would explain the big head, enlarged, knobby joints, etc). I will probably only breed Cayenne, unless someone can assure me that the kids from Coffee won't be weak like she was..."

Iris had triplet does two years ago and refused to raise any of them as she was helping her daughter raise her sons. We were afraid we were going to lose Marble. She had to be tubed and had some problems with walking and maturing. She settled (a little earlier than we had wanted) and had a successful kidding last year and I am waiting for her right now. She is going to kid within the next month. She isn't quite as thrifty as the other does but she has done fairly well. Except that she laid on her kid last year when he was two weeks old an smothered him. Her kid was as healthy as any of the others.
    In the end it is your decision though. You know the animal betetr than anyone ehre.

11. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

I dont know what they are but I have 3 on my farm. Thay look just like yours! So, if yu find out, please let me know!
    Thanks
    Christina

12. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

Hey, Coffee looks a little bit like my Pipi. I'm trying to find out what Pipi is too. Pipi has the color of a Nubian though. She's like the brown/tan ones with the white spot on the sides. Pipi has that dark face though and black on the legs up to the knee.

13. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

To me the look like a likely cross between breeds... perhaps Mini-Alpine (ND X Alpine). Just a guess though.

Trisha-MN

14. SamStone

SamStone New Member

15. jill.costello

16. SamStone

SamStone New Member

My bad, they're hard to identify without all of the relevant information. They must be Wisconsin cheerleaders.

17. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

I looked Pipi over again. No, she doesn't have to black legs. What was I thinking? Pipi has buff colored legs. Her udder is larger than the little nubians I'mmilking right now and she lets down nicely. She's sweet. I have a little buck kid fom her that is 2 days old.

18. jill.costello

Well, I'm leaning toward Alpine-influence....

I'm in Central Texas and would like to breed Cayenne; anyone know of a pretty-headed buck who's not too big? anywhere within 200 miles of Temple???

How expensive is AI for goats? I would pay $$ for her to have kids with as pretty a face as her......and I LOVE the airplane/yoda ears!

19. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

They look like my doe Ivy. SHe is an Alpine/Nubian cross.

20. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

They look like my Baby Girl and she's an Alpine grade....somewhere around 95% but a grade nonetheless. My Baby is also tiny - shorter than some pygmys with "yoda" ears. Unfortunately she was bred to a full blood boer before I got her and I am waiting with real trepidation to see if it took. Anyway, they are beautiful.