What kind of goat is this ?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by user7, Oct 11, 2004.

1. user7

user7 Guest

What kind of goat is this ? And Does it look like it would make good breeding stock ? How much would a mate or two cost ? Thanks :)

http://tinypic.com/c51yg

2. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Not sure of the breed but I would not let that horned devil onto our place unless the horns we cut the second it hit the dirt. Horns have no place on a domestic goat in my humble opinion.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Looks like a pygmy male. How cute with his toungue out like that! I agree about the horns, but some seem to like goats with horns, bet anything that is a new fence behind him, horned goats rarely have this nice of pen for long :)

He would do fine breeding other tiny goats, or even Nubians to make Kinders.

Just not my cup of tea. Vicki

4. user7

user7 Guest

He is the only goat i have, i originally bought two billy goats from a sale barn, only one made it. And it was him, the tiny one. Ive had him since he was still growing. His horns keep ketting longer. He is rough on fences ! :) His stall in the barn is surrounded in panels. He will and did tear holes in wire fence, letting chickens escape never to be seen again. I like him, and was wondering if he is worth breeding. I would like goats about his size. He is probably about 3 years old. BTW he is eating a leaf in the pic. And he is very respective of people. He will chase off dogs that get near the chickens, but Ive also see him try to mount a chicken years ago !!! :)

5. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

What a handsome guy!

My goats have always been horned. I haven't ever had any problems with them. It's so traditional for fiber goats to have their horns that I don't think I could buy or sell a cashmere or angora goat without horns.

6. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I'm going to sound cranky here, but... there's really no market for goats of this kind except for meat. I've been at 2 goat auctions this month and saw about 200 of these small cute buck goats go for $12.50-$27.50 to meat buyers. I bet all of them were former pets or the offspring of pets.
    But, if you just want your own goat posse, the does that would be his size sell for $25 - $50 here at auction. You could run a want ad in the newspaper and I bet you'd have little doe goats coming out of the woodwork!
    Either way, he should have a goat buddy. A lot of people who keep bucks will keep 2 compatible bucks together or a wether (castrated male) in with him.

7. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Looks Pygmy to me. As far as there not being a market for them except for meat, I disagree. Maybe it depends on where you are. I can not keep enough kids on hand for sale. I have people calling me all the time wanting babies. They are great pets & good pets for small children because of their small size.

8. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Another note. If you want to raise these to sell as pets, DISBUD the kids. I would never sell a goat for a pet if it had horns.