What kind of fresh meat do you feed your dogs?

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Up North, May 4, 2006.

1. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

For those of you that feed your dogs fresh meat on a regular basis what kind of meat do you feed them? Is there a preference? Is one kind of meat better than others? Do you feed whatever is the cheapest to get? Any recomendations on a good website I could check out would be appreciated. I know very little about this system of feeding animals. I am curious about it because I am a farmer that raises beef, pork and poultry and I'm wondering about marketing my meat to dog lovers too. Thanks

Heather

2. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

You should check out some of the Barf/Raw lists... You could market directly to the folks if you can find them

I often feed Chicken Leg Quarters cause it is cheap, but have fed ground beef, Organ meat, pork, rabbit, Venison, lamb

3. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

http://community.livejournal.com/rawdogs/profile is a good starting place.

Good luck. :)

err... ETA: My guys get chicken and rabbit primarily, but I also feed beef and goat when I can get it cheaply. Currently, I'm just supplementing with meat, but I'm exploring beginning to breed meat rabbits so I can follow a more whole-prey model.

4. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

I feed mainly chicken leg quarters due to cost, but also try to use different meats at least twice a week such as beef, pork and fish- and also add in eggs and organ meat. I am doing as corgitales is- looking into raising my own rabbits to provide my own meat for my dogs at a lower cost. These meat prices are killing me!

5. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

I feed a lot of chicken and pork (cheap), some beef, a little organ meat, and LOTS of eggs (I have too many hens!). Also fish about once a week. I'm hoping to add meat rabbits to my farm this summer and some sheep soon, so I will definitely be feeding those in the future. I have also fed road kill deer (and one roadkill squirrel-I saw it get hit, so I knew it was fresh!) in the past and would again if I still lived very near where lots of deer get hit.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Well-Known Member

I feed a lot of leg quarters with liver, eggs, yogurt, and cottage cheese. Add a littler garlic, vitamin, and brewers yeast. About once a week I feed a little fish and some vegetables. Usually one day a week my dog will not eat anything. Deer meat would be my first choice if it was available.

7. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

We grow our own meat (dairy goat, rabbits and all kinds of fowl). Since our dogs guard our goats and fowl, we cook it prior to letting our dogs eat it. (Since we raise rabbits mostly for dog food, we do not cook rabbit; but simply put a couple on the grown to run, giving our dogs a good chase and kill. This is the only meat our dogs get that is raw, outside of the occasional squirel, groundhog and possum they find.) Our dogs know the difference and do not harm any animals not meant specifically for them .. on command of course. (In fact, one of our dogs thinks she is suppose to break up all animal fights and does so; at the expense of some good breeding, i.e. knocking a rooster or buck off while it is trying to breed. Have not as yet been able to teach her the difference.)

8. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to feed mainly chicken backs, but can't get them anymore. Chicken leg quarters are the mainstay, along with our eggs, and since we buy beef by the 1/2 cow, hamburger, beef bones, liver, and heart. I used to feed him mackerel too, but he won't eat it anymore. he also gets leftover vegetables.