What Kind Of Freezer?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Jun 10, 2006.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Upright or Chest?

I always thought Upright was good as far as finding stuff.But seems you have just as much trouble finding stuff in Upright.And can get more in Chest.

big rockpile

2. I have a chest freezer as I need a lot of storage space. Mine came with baskets that fits on the top part so you can place items within reach. My wife isn't tall enough to reach all the way to the bottom so I pull stuff up and place it in the baskets so she can reach them as we use them. However if I ever get a good storage building built I am going to put the chest freezer in it and get a upright for inside the house.

3. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I have had both & I prefer the chest freezer. I can fit more in it & I don't have to worry about an avalanche when I open the door. Man I hated that thing!

4. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Chest freezers also take less electricity to run. All the cold air doesn't dump out every time you open the door.

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Rocky, You better get some spare room in that freezer. Squirrel season will be here before you know it. Stew up a batch of venison for Tina next week.

6. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

From researching them before I remember it said chest freezers are more energy efficient and less prone to needing repair.

My chest freezer is 21 years old and still going strong. I am looking for another since that one is full already! :rolleyes:

7. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Chest freezer. Ours has double row of sliding baskets so it is easy to find stuff. Lots of time I heard them on Tradio for under $100; got one that way for storing grains. DEE

8. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

Chest freezer...but DH will argue strong the other way...... :)

9. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

The other thing is a chest freezer wont thaw out as fast. We had a three day power outage and our chest freezer stayed frozen. The neighbors upright thawed and they lost all the food.

10. RenieB

RenieB Well-Known Member

We now have a chest type freezer as our large upright seemed to use a lot more electricity and it was too big for us. The chest type is smaller and not very difficult to find items in it. Sometimes I have to do a lot of digging in there. I try to put things in some sort of order and we have one rack in there. We also have a fairly good size freezer in out fridge. Things are starting to get low in the both freezers now as we are eating more meals at home. So this week we will hit the stores to stock up some. Anyhow my vote would be for the chest type.

RenieB

11. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Uncle Will Squirrels are being killed,Fish are being caught.Plus going on a Guided Hog Hunt this weekend.Pure Russian I should either kill a 300+ Boar or people are going to a funeral in the middle of the week :rolleyes: :shrug:

big rockpile

12. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

We just went through this. Got all kinds of advice on type and ended up buying an upright because it was cheaper and took less floorspace. Now that it is packed and we have had to use it for a few months I can honestly say that a chest would hold more but it is far easier to get at the food in the upright.

13. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Chest freezer, hands down!!

14. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

I like chest freezers.

15. HomesteadBaker

HomesteadBaker Working toward the dream

We have a chest freezer and like it because it freezes more efficiently, and you don't lose all of the cold air out of it when you open the door. Also, ours is a 15 cf, and we use the plastic crates from the dollar store to store stuff in the freezer... beef in one, chicken in another, pork.... you get the idea. There is room for 4 of these crates, 2 stacks of 2 each, in our freezer... makes organizing and finding things sooooooo much easier.

8 days to go...... :sing:
    Kitty

16. terri46355

terri46355 Well-Known Member

I like chest freezers the best, too. They hold more and work better. I have one that is more than 30 years old and is big enough to store 3 bodies! I've never had any problems with it even though it has been moved 3 times.

Which ever you get, make sure that it isn't a frost free model or you'll have freezer burned food.

The best thing you can do is try to keep things separated by category, so you won't get upset when you look for something (and can't find it like my DH).

A really organized person could keep a log of things put in and taken out, so you know exactly what you have in there...

17. HomesteadBaker

HomesteadBaker Working toward the dream

Soooooooooo..... did you move the freezer with or without the bodies????? :eek: LOL

8 days to go.... :sing:
    Kitty

18. quietstar

quietstar Well-Known Member

What is it about a frost free freezer that causes freezer burn?..Haven't come across that in my research although I'm convinced that a chest freezer is the best choice as long everyone can reach the contents. Seems a sturdy step along the full length would be a great help to smaller ladies and children and give the cat another place to lounge about....Glen

19. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I'll vote for a chest freezer,as that's all I've ever had. I've always thought an upright would be nice,but I've heard that stuff falls out easily and there isn't as much room. It is a pain to dig things out of the chest freezer. I tried to organize it. I put everything into stacks. Chicken in one tall stack,then beside the chicken I put a stack of beef,then beside the beef I stacked frozen corn...you get the picture. It took about a month for it to get mixed up again :p

20. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Well-Known Member

I have two chest freezers (20 cu ft and 5 cu ft) and I wouldn't have anything else. Both come with a shelf and moveable baskets for easy of organisation.