What kind of food pan works best?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by misslinda, May 19, 2005.

1. misslinda

misslinda Well-Known Member

I have one buck pet rabbit I gave him a big round hard plastic dog food bowl for his food,etc. But....he has flipped it over so many times and the food went thru the bottom of his cage...and it was a total loss. What kind of a food dish is best to use so he won't be able to spill his food all the time?? I really need a bowl or a pan that can be attached to his cage and NOT be able to flip over. Any suggestions???? (BTW...his name is BUGSY.) TIA

2. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

What Bugsy needs is a regular rabbit feeder. They are J shaped and mount to the outside of the cage and there is an opening through the cage so he can stick his head in the feeder and eat. You can get them at the feed store or order online if they don't have any. Failing that, I have taken old metal sauce pans and drilled two holes in the bottom and wired it to the cage floor. The J feeders are a much better solution and only cost a few dollars. check out this link for pictures and pricing. http://www.bassequipment.com/finex.htm

3. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, the feeders will save you $ in the long run...rabbits will dig out, sit in ,pee in everything that is down low in ther cage. Keep an eye out for them at garage sales too...can usually get them for $1-2.

4. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

I use the heavy stoneware crocks. I have French Lops and I was told by the breeder that because of their shorter noses, they have trouble eating out of the feeders. The crocks work well for me.. I find that they sometimes root some of the food out but I've never found them upside down. Callie was peeing in hers from time to time but that seems to have stopped now. I don't have a lot of experience.. have only had them since December. VooDoo will sometimes try to attack my hand when I reach in for her dish but Callie and Warden are much tamer and like to be petted when I'm in there anyway.

5. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Another option for you may be a Crock-Lock. All plastic, they mount on the inside of the cage, with another piece on the outside and a threaded plastic bolt to fasten it all together. You can mount the Crock-Lock up higher in the cage and cut down on the digging/peeing in the dish problem. I use the J hoppers on most of my holes, but for the ornery ones (Holland Lops are bad for digging), I used the Crock-Locks.

6. Alvary

Alvary dOn't gEt mAd, gEt EvIl.

When i use to have rabbits and guniepigs (pets only) I used 'coop cups'
    They are stainless steel cups that sit in a loop of steel that you attach to the cage front. There are lots of types, all realy good. You can adust the hight and they are easy to clean.

Jessica