What kind of floor for the barn?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Buffy in Dallas, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Buffy in Dallas

Buffy in Dallas Well-Known Member Supporter

We are just about to build our barn and were wondering what would be the best floor for goats and sheep. Concrete or Dirt? They will be outside in the pasture exept at night when I put them in the barn.

2. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I have dirt. I had to dig up about 3' of clay and replace it with topsoil/sand mix for drainage. I just keep adding bedding to it and will clean it out in June or July with the forked bucket on my FEL, at which time it will be about 2' thick with grass hay. The urine drains into the soil but the bedding will get a little soggy if a new layer isn't added periodically. I just toss in a bale every few days and let them spread it themselves. The composting action of the lower levels keeps the temp in the barn at least 10 - 15 degrees warmer than the outside air, and the bedding is actually warm to the touch. The other half of my barn is 2" x 10" cedar plank flooring, milled from trees on the property. They aren't quite butted up to each other, leaving a sliver of space between. My kidding pens are put together and kept on this floor. It drains well and is easy to shovel with a scoop shovel. The pens are 6' square. Concrete is okay for the milking room, but it's too hard on their feet, doesn't drain, and is cold.

3. christij

christij Well-Known Member

I have one dirt and one concete stall. With the concrete you know when you are at it but it stays wetter than the dirt....

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I have dirt. I'll clean it out once a year. It seems to work ok. The thing I really like about it is that our barn sits on a slight incline, so when I dump thier water trough, the water goes right out the door. :) That's what I reccomend. Either cement or sand would be fine, but make it on an incline so it drains well. :)

5. vallyfarm

vallyfarm Well-Known Member

Dirt here too. Never had a foot problem, and like said above, the deep pack keeps the barn warmer, and actually helps keep those nasty germs and viruses in check. They get in the pack, get covered up, and then get cooked by the lower levels of the pack. When I started out with goats I had them in an old daity barn with concrete. I had respratory problems, foot problems, etc. Put up the new barn and couldn't afford the floor, so I had to use dirt. Best choice out. Saves money, and healthy critters! Mike

6. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I have dirt floors in my goat houses. I've been told that cement floors can get cold for the goats to lie on.

7. RosewoodfarmVA

RosewoodfarmVA Well-Known Member

Dirt...it soaks up excess moisture and is easier on their feet. Concrete is harder on their joints and also tends to be wetter. Just ask yourself whether you would rather sit on a cement slab or the bare ground outside!

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

9. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

South of you near Houston, you want dirt. If you are putting in dirt to raise the level of your barn, dig out any clay before you put sand down in the stalls, otherwise you will have a swimming pool in the stalls. If you can afford it put a concrete footing around the barn to keep the sand in. During the year I weekly rake with a metal leaf rake, out any hay or nanny berries replacing any really gross areas with clean sand...during the winter we bed the barn with shavings...same thing I pick up any really nasty areas and replace the shavings, cleaning out everything and putting it into the gardens compost pile beginning of April after the last milker has kidded. Infant and junior pens stay in shavings year round. Vicki

10. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

We left the floor dirt, but did what the walking horse farm did that I worked at. They leveled out the flooring then put crush and run down on top of the dirt. During the summer, we bed with cedar shavings on top of the crush and run. Most of it usually composts into the ground by winter, but if not, we scrape that out down to the crush and run and then bed with straw. The straw will be removed for compost in April or May and rebedded with cedar and so on......

11. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

What is crush and run?

12. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

It's not crush and run, it's crusher run. That's straight out of the rock crusher and not sieved for a specific size. For some things you want uniform gravel, but crusher run has the fines in it, so it packs well for driveways, etc. It's good for a lot of uses. I've got my haybarns bottomed with it.

Jennifer

13. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Ditto, crusher run....Dirt sure has my vote, couldn't be happier, year round.

14. Buffy in Dallas

Buffy in Dallas Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the replies! Dirt it shall be then. That will definitely save us some money too! :)