Homesteading Forum banner

What kind of fittings do I need for this water tote?

784 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  rambler 
#1 ·
I'm trying to adapt a 300-gal IBC tote for use in a home garden and livestock waterer. I can't figure out how to convert the tank outlet to something more common, such as PVC fittings.

The outlet is male corse thread (would require a female connector) and measures 1.75-inches on the inside. I can find some fittings that might work online, but shipping is delayed about 2 months right now! Does anyone know what I should be looking for, and where I might be able to find the fittings locally? (Eg, what kind of store would carry this?)

Thanks so much!

See less See more
#2 ·
Go online to the tote manufacturer if you know it and chat with them....You can't be the only one that has ever done what you want to do. Or if your local Ace Hardware is open, go there. It looks like the connection will unscrew, so if it does, take it with you.

#5 ·
I think the course thread is most common in the USA.

there is a fine thread.

and then there is an odd British thread, is that called buttress thread I think?

I also believe that outer lip is not part of the threads? That is typically the cam lock, which is most commonly used with these totes. It is an easy to attach or release

to find these, look at a fleet and farm type store. You likely will end up in the ag chem supply shelves, the sprayer fittings.

a place like a good Napa store could also order you one pretty quick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.