what kind of fence for pasture

Discussion in 'Goats' started by myrandaandkids, Jul 8, 2006.

1. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

i want to start pasturing my goats all but my milker, i dont have a lot of money, but do have some, i do not want to use barbed wire fencing as some of the other farmers near me as i fear the safley of my goats and my childeren whom love to go frolic with the goats, also i do not want to go electric for the same reason and also our electricity goes out quite often here, any ideas?

2. TennesseeMama23

TennesseeMama23 Well-Known Member

If you don't want to use electric--the only option is woven wire and that is very expensive and lots of work to put up.

Electric would be your cheapest, easiest, best option, children will stay out of it-I have a 6yo and 3yo twins who really respect my fence, LOL. I'd never use barbed wire, especially with dairy goats--it could cause nasty cuts to their udder.

Melanie

ETA: we just put up a 6 strand electric fence and it is working great (IMO, 5 would be the absolute minimum)

3. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

You'll need more than two strands to keep goats in with electric. I don't know how many, but I know two isn't enough. ; )

Amen to barbed wire. It doesn't slow them down even though it makes a nasty, nasty rip.

We use field fencing. Even that won't keep in a young buck in rut, as I have just sadly discovered. If we could afford it, I'd have all sheep&goat fencing.

mary

4. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Go to fiascofarm.com and read about goat fencing.

5. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

How much ground are you trying to fence in?
    If it's just a little, 47" field fence with electric on top might be the answer.
    If you are trying to fence in a large area then electric would be the cheapest way.

6. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

i've found a combo of field fence with a strand of electric wire about knee height works great on goats. you could always fence sections at a time and have pastures you could rotate-it's healthier that way, anyway.

7. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

Check your newspaper! We found enough 6' high woven wire in the paper to fence our whole place, including fence posts! We did have to spend 2 days taking it down, but no $$ outlay. I have been putting it up this summer, I THINK I will have all but the short section where I need dh's help TODAY!

As it is light weight we are running 3 strands of smooth wire first then wiring them together every 3 feet on all 3 strands. To test I separated a doe and her kids (time to wean anyway!) The kids are out and looking for a way in, the doe is in looking for a way out. It has been a week and so far no holes.

Best advice, check your paper.

I forgot, for nice looking inexpensive gates, buy a cattle panel, use 1x6 lumbar to make a frame on both sides. We asked the lumbar yard where we got it to cut the panel for us in 3 sections, 10', and 2-3'. I got one drive through gate and two walk through gates for just right at $75.00 including hardware.

8. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I agree with electric. It's cheaper and easier to put up then woven wire and works quite well, unless you have a buck in rut trying to get to your does.

As for danger to your kids... it won't seriously hurt them. I mean, all my kids have touched it ... once. The littler ones cried for a minute, but then were fine. And they haven't got near it again. Now ask my husband about touching it while kneeling in wet grass, wearing shorts. YEOUCH.

If your electricity goes out a lot, you might want to consider a battery charger. That's what we use and it's been fine. It's a little more work then the regular electric, only because you have to charge the battery every once in awhile. But other than that, it's great. The other thing to consider though, even if your electric goes out, the fence will generally still keep the goats in. We can take the battery out and charge it for a day and the goats still don't go near the fence. They learn quickly and will not challenge it once they get a shock or two.

9. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

So, Homebirtha, how many strands, and at what height? Thanks!