What kind of fence can I put up that is cheap, quick and will keep people out?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by canfossi, Jun 26, 2006.

1. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

I am going to be having the building supplies delivered sometime in the near future and can't keep an eye on everything except on weekends. So I am planning on putting up a fence/gate, one that is quick to put up, stong and fairly cheap to construct. It's just temporary across the driveway, that's the only way to get in, while the builders are framing the house. Any ideas? Thanks, Chris

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

99% of the population will keep away from your building materials by using a simple "No Tresspassing" sign.

There is nothing that you can make...fence, gate, or otherwise....that will keep the other 1% away from your building materials....especially if they want it.

Be sure that you have taken out a "Construction Insurance" policy with your carrier before your building materials arrive.

3. Countrybumpkin

Countrybumpkin Well-Known Member

Well, CF, a string of claymores would keep that 1% guessing for awhile...LOL

4. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

A pit bull on a long rope would do nicely.

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    An enclosed trailer, brought out with each weekend would be the safest. Purchase what you need, stash it in the trailer, park it in a self storage fenced area in town, one that has camera security, keep it locked. Take it out on Friday night, return it Sunday evening - when the project is over sell the trailer to recover your cash. They hold their value well, a fresh coat of paint or new tires will allow you to sell it for more than you paid.

Purchase your materials in segments, plan ahead so everything goes smoothly.

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

............Were it ME , I'd buy one of those 40 foot transoceanic shipping containers and have it delivered too my homesite and pack as much of the most valuable items into , IT as would FIT . Only the builder and myself would have a key . fordy... :shrug:

7. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

Moo,

Trouble with that is you can get a good price break on a whole load of supplies and free delivery. Otherwise, the trailer is a very good plan. How about an old semi box trailer? kinda hard to load and unload, but it seals up tight.

For the gate, I have always hated electric fences. I'm not scared of them, I just don't care for unhooking the little red spring loaded latches and trying to hook them up again while they buzz at me. get one of those good weed chopper fences and the wide horse tape and lots of extreme danger signs and that might stop another small group of thieves. Don't make it apparent how the gate unhooks.

Barring that, nothing says love like claymores.

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Previously at my beef farm I was plagued with trespassers. This is a 200+ acre farm with somewhat remote areas. I had experienced pregnant women with a packpack infant taking a shortcut to burley men with coondogs and wire cutters and teenagers on fourwheelers. I was not happy! I cleared a swath around the entire farm and installed an electric high tensile 4 strand fence. Today you would not think it is the same property. I am not intimidated by the electric fence but most of the general public is. I rarely see any evidence that anyone has trespassed. Install a portion of electric fence and put visible signs stating that the fence is electrified. Place a flourescent light on the fence and let it flash as the charger fires. This has about the same impact as a pump shotgun when the chamber is filled by the noise of the pump action. Later, you can use the fence components for your farmsted.

9. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

If it were me, after I had the electric fence tape up I'd make a few signs. My signs would say "Danger! Keep out! Bulls in Field." Unless they can see the whole property from the driveway they wouldn't know if there were bulls there or not. Who'd take that kind of chance for a few boards?

10. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

Should I put up the fence/gate pretty soon so that once the building materials arrive the entrance will look the same as when the building supplies arrive. Nothing can be seen from the road as the driveway goes up a hill and the materials will be tucked at the top of the hill behind some large granite rocks. Yes everything will be insured when it arrives. Thanks Chris

11. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

other than a sea container like fordy said ,they will go through anything ,even razor wire on a remote local (even a sea tainer given time) . i would check on the insureance too, as an unguarded site may not qualify for a repayment. is there no neighbour willing too have the supplies at their 20? hate too throw a scare at you but have heard of way too many bandits in east ont., yep there are houses being bulit but most have some one there 24/7. my stepmawinlaw built a new house last year with little problems as the site was well watched by close neigbours and the loose material locked up in a seatainer.

12. speedfunk

speedfunk Rock On

like others , we built our house and put tools and windows in rented shipping container

nothing got taken :)

of course we also leave 2k in tools in a 1/2 done house with no front door just a hole... so maybe it's my area

13. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

my buddy has 6 ft cyclone fence topped with 3 strand barbed wire around the back of his store.

they cut the mesh
    they dropped a tree on it
    the dug under it

they poisoned his gaurd dogs.

and this is a fairly sedate little town.... really.

you cant keep people out, unless you have an armed gaurd marching the fence with an AK47, and even then..... they will get in.

they havent broke into his moms house, to get there you have to walk thru a large field, that houses a very grumpy bull.
    I think its the bull, he says they are to lazy to hike over 1/4 mile of thorns and weeds.

14. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

We have a relatively low crime rate here, but for some reason until that shingle or stud is actually nailed onto a building many people seem to think its some sort of community property as soon as it leaves the building supply store. Why these folks don't just walk up to the neighbours house and start ripping off the siding is beyond be. If you are building in a remote location here you pretty much have to sleep on site, and blink your headlights no and then. A few overhead lights might work also. I suppose building at night might be an option if you did that. Crazy world I guess.

15. Brighid1971

Brighid1971 Well-Known Member

A six foot fence...with signs posted every couple of feet that say "CAUTION--Person from New Jersey Lives On The Other Side Of This Fence!" :hobbyhors

16. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

............I was thinking of a siGn that said something like...
    ..................The Guido Sarducci School of Advanced Circumcision Using the "Al Capone" switchblade method whilst the patient lays on a Table at the Pizza Parlor wit NO Pain killer . ,fordy... :p

17. Brighid1971

Brighid1971 Well-Known Member

:goodjob: Your idea is much better...

18. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

A very official looking bio hazard signs and yellow tape that warns of something hideous like ebola zaire or even avian influenza. Even discard some tyvek suits, dust masks and rubber gloves around the gate.

You could also to the same thing but with radiation warning signs. People are scared of anything radioactive. Again tyvek suits and dust masks on ground would be a nice effect

A warning sign saying some thing like:

WARNING! NO ADMITTANCE! EXTREME RADIATION HAZARD BEYOND THIS POINT! This areas is contaminated with Plutonium-239, Strontium-90 and Cesiusm-137. Extreme health risks including radiation sickness and cancer. By remaining in this area for even a short time male humans risk sterility, impotence and hair loss. Leave the area immediately!

19. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

That won't keep the type of trash that's apt to go in and steal things. I'd say put up a 'Men at Work' sign, these types usually stay as far away from work as they can.
    Seriously, I'd go with the insurance and trailer.

20. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

My favorite is:

Warning: Tresspassers will be Violated