Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it was really cute that Pres. Elect Obama promised his daughters a puppy. I wonder what kind they will get. Any speculation? I'm going to place my bet on a Golden Retriever.

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Being slightly cynical, it will be something VERY photogenic so that the kids can be photographed playing with it ;)

hoggie

·
Wasza polska matka
6,912 Posts
i wish they would adopt from the SPCA (Our family has always loved our dog pound puppies)...An all American Mutt

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I'm more concerned with the people he plans to hire.

·
Always Thinking
3,296 Posts
One of the Obama daughters has allergies. Anyway, it was a 'thing' in the media over the summer. There was an organization that made recommendations - mostly for smaller, short haired breeds. Sorry, can't remember all the details.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I just saw on the news, that they are rescuing a puppy from a shelter...which is wonderful. I don't think they should 'pick a breed' per se, I think they should let those girls loose at the shelter and let their new friend pick THEM. They are such beautiful girls.

·
Always Thinking
3,296 Posts
It's the older daughter, Malia, who has the allergies. And she also seems to be the one who 'most' wants a dog.

Here's an article that pretty much covers it all....
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2008/11/obamas-first-appointment-a-first-dog.html

beaglebiz - you get your wish. Suposssedly the 'first pooch' is to be a rescue dog.

PinkBat - yeah, I'm more concerned about who he intends to hire as well - and appoint to significant positions such as Cabinet, Supreme Court, etc.

ETA: Sorry Jo, we were posting at the same time.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, my daughter, TN girl, had the right idea on both calls. We used to breed Toy Poodles and she would love the 1st dog to be a poodle. With his daughter's allergies, that would be a perfect choice. But she said she thought a rescue dog from the pound would be a good choice too. Seeing a cute what-cha-a- doodle (her word for mixed breed, lol) getting to before the 1st dog would be great and would possibly increase awareness and get more people out and adopting all those wonderful mutts that need a home.

·
de oppresso liber
16,879 Posts
He'll get the one which makes him look the best. He'll also hire someone to care for it, just like he has his kids.

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
Wow, my daughter, TN girl, had the right idea on both calls. We used to breed Toy Poodles and she would love the 1st dog to be a poodle. With his daughter's allergies, that would be a perfect choice. But she said she thought a rescue dog from the pound would be a good choice too. Seeing a cute what-cha-a- doodle (her word for mixed breed, lol) getting to before the 1st dog would be great and would possibly increase awareness and get more people out and adopting all those wonderful mutts that need a home.
Honestly, I would HATE to see a poodle mix in the White House. There are already so many people breeding poodles to whatever other dog they can get their hands on. Dogs with eye problems and structural problems are bred just because they make cute puppies and are supposedly hypoallergenic. My aunt's neighbors got a golden retreiver/poodle mix because they were told it wouldn't bother their son's allergies. Ooops, the dog still aggravates the allergies. They kept it, plenty of people wouldn't.

I would like to see a rescue dog, a small nondescript little dog is fine, even if it is a poodle mix. As long as it is never called a something-doodle, because too many people are already breeding those when there are identical dogs in shelters being put to sleep.

Kayleigh

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Great question, sancraft -and I was thinking about this, too though I had him figured for a cat person myself. :)

But that having been said (and the Good Lord knows my heart and that I do NOT in any way mean this to come off as remotely racist )

I would think it would be monumentally significant and show great leadership if the Obama family went with a mixed breed (see? I was afraid this would happen!) from a humane shelter. Wouldn't that be a wonderful example?

As a former breeder/exhibitor of purebred dogs, I do know that there are many purbred breeders already offering the Obamas a purebred dog - but wouldn't it be wonderful to see some lucky little dog rescued from the pound running through the White House? And perhaps it would lend some credibility and acceptance of humane society adoption for all those castoff unwanted pets facing euthenasia each day in this country.

(But please, dear Lord, do not let it be another Beverly Hills/Paris Hilton chihuahua )
I agree. He could set a very good example by picking a pound puppy.

·
just me
1,770 Posts
Pound puppy and unless her allergies are severe she should be ok with most breeds if the grooming is kept up. This coming from someone that had allergies growing up but living mostly fine with a shephard mix, a lab mix and two cats. My two kids have no pet allergies and have always had animals in the house.

·
Always Thinking
3,296 Posts
Did anyone else see this....

I cannot believe Obama called himself a mutt today during his press conference!

He was asked about getting a family dog. He mentioned Malia's allergies being a consideration. He mentioned many breeds being more 'hypo allergenic'...and then said their preference was to get a dog from a rescue shelter. He finished with...."but most rescue dogs are mutts, like me."

He didn't crack a smile at the end of the comment. He looked serious. DH are I are still laughing. He's probably catching heck from Michelle right now. LOL

G

·
So you want the president to be a purebreed and the pet to be a mutt?! :lookout:

My guess is that it should be a yellow dog. :p

·
Registered
491 Posts
He didn't crack a smile at the end of the comment. He looked serious. DH are I are still laughing. He's probably catching heck from Michelle right now. LOL
After a pregnant pause, he most certainly did laugh at his own joke! So did all of the folks behind him. He was poking fun at himself and it was good to see that.

His heart is in getting a pound puppy but the allergies have to take first priority. Being someone who is suffering a LOT from allergies/sinus infection right now, I can completely understand this need.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree with it not being an anything-doddle. I think it's terrible that they are breeding the "Hollywood" dogs with no consideration to the breeds they are mixing. My daughter is a poodle lover and wanted them to get a poodle because poodles are usually a good choice for people with allergies. But she thinks the best bet, health permitting, would be a rescue, so others would follow suit. Whatever they get, I'm sure that's going to be one spoiled puppy with 2 little girls to love on it. :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts