what kind of bull?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by tripletmom, Mar 31, 2005.

1. tripletmom

tripletmom Well-Known Member

We have 2 highlander and a whitefaced heifer. The highlanders were with a highlander bull in November for a month. Since, we've noticed blood on the tail of one highlander and also the black heifer(she's never been with a bull). I'm taking this as a sign she's not bred. The highlander bull is 60 miles away so we're wondering if we can breed her with a different bull, say an angus. Bodywise they would be close to the same size. The intent of the calves is butcher.

2. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Are your highlanders cross bred? My highland cows (mature) weigh not much more than 800 lbs and mature angus females far exceed that. Would it be possible to AI. I would think you could use a red angus bull but I would look carefully for one with a strong record of calving ease. If the highlander in question is a hiefer, I'd seriously consider my options before breeding because I would like to start her off with a nice light calf.

3. tripletmom

tripletmom Well-Known Member

They are pure highlander, dh guestimates about 900-1000 lbs. 2 years old. I would think (but have never checked) the price of AI would be prohibitive and would need to build a stantion or something to do it.

4. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

If you consider doing AI this is what I do. I have no bull so I use Lutalyze (SP?) to bring them into heat and then have them both AI'd at the same time, it save on paying the travel time to the AI technician.

Bobg

5. BDB

BDB BDB

I dont think you will have any problem breeding your highlands to a angus bull angus cows usualy throw small but if your going to breed them to other bulls you should ask if there low birth weight bulls before breeding your cows to them i raise both highlands and angus and cross breed them all the time never had had any problems with either good luck