What kind of antibiotics?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by SDjulieinSC, Oct 3, 2006.

1. SDjulieinSC

SDjulieinSC Well-Known Member

A friends husband called me last night and asked what he should do for a goat that had "a castration gone wrong". I wasn't sure what he was talking about. He said that the goat had an "infection". I'm not sure how long ago he had the origional procedure or any details on how it was done. He asked me to find the correct dose of antibiotic for this poor animal because he was "going to give it a shot in a few days". He was not sure what he had on hand as far as meds go.
    I told him that I would see what info I could come up with and would take a look at the poor guy but only if he would do it TODAY!
    So here is where I drag all of you into this...HELP! I know that you can't really tell any better than I can without seeing the goat but what should I do ? What antibiotic would you use? Dose? Should I do something to the "wound" itself ?
    Thanks.

2. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

He needs a tetnaus antitoxin also. I would go with pen . Make the first days dose a bit high. Cd/t also. As for the wound clean it out well with betadine and warm water and then I would spray it with blue coat or something.

3. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

5cc's per 100lbs

4. SDjulieinSC

What type? LAP, PenG? Same dose for either or whatever he may have in his chicken med box?

5. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

PenG is CHEAP. If he's got some sitting around in an unrefridgerated box toss it and buy new. My vet told me that if it sits on the counter even for one night it should be tossed.

Also, make sure he gives ALL 5 days (minimum) of shots because it sounds like he may not. My vet said 5 day minimum and at least 1 day longer than symptoms disappear after the 5 day minimum.

I'm REALLY glad I'm not that goat.

6. SDjulieinSC

I really thought about telling him I'd like to practice treating the wound before subjecting the poor goat to it, so maybe he should botch his own castration, wait a few days then call me. That way I'd know what I was doing and could be sure the treatment would be effective :rolleyes:

7. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

owie. I'd also look at applying something to the affected area, externally...I've used wonder dust when we've castrated, but I'm sure there's something else readily available at tsc that would be similar.

Interested to find out what he meant by botched.

Andrea

8. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

You could apply Hydrogen Peroxide or Furall Spray. Dont use the Furall if its going to be a "meat goat"

9. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had a couple of goats who have ahd this problem. I sprayed the area with Bluekote and gave Biomycin. They healed.

10. fishhead

What did you find and how is the goat?

11. SDjulieinSC

Thought I was mad yesterday? Well you ought to see me this morning!!!!!!
    I declined a dinner invitation to help this poor goat and waited and waited for the guy to call. I finally called him, he said he was busy and woud call me back, waited some more. Called him back again and he decided he just didn't have time to do it last night but would I be busy today? Or Thursday?
    I told him I did in fact have plans for both evenings and I thought it was really crappy (not the word I really used) that he was allowing this poor critter to suffer. Didn't put it quite so nicely to him. I even offered to go do it myself. He said the goat was "shy" and I'd never be able to catch him and even if I did I wouldnt be able to treat him myself.
    So this evening I really DO have plans to take a friends little girl somewhere, but I really feel bad for the poor goat and guess she and I will just have to be late. I guess thats IF the guy can fit me into HIS schedule. It's not that I'm mad that he changed his mind and I missed my date, no big deal, I feel awful for the goat and hate the thought of him continuing to be miserable.
    As far as treating him I had some pen in my fridge and some "catron (?)" spray from when my goats were dehorned, my vet said both were OK to use so I guess thats what I will use if the goat doesn't die before I get out there.
    Thanks for your advice so far and if you have any ideas on how I might attempt to do it myself let me know.
    My fat little pygmy's have no idea how good they have it........

12. fishhead

How big is it? Can you get someone to help since this knucklehead is too "busy"?

I had a fairly large wild wether that I needed to treat last summer. After chasing him round and round and round.... for over an hour in 90+ degree heat I finally cornered him in a shelter. I put my dogs collar on him and then tied a hose tether on the collar so that I could catch him another 4 nights. Someone here suggested running a rope inside a 15' piece of old garden hose with a knot in the rope so the hose stays near the collar. It made it stiff enough so the goat wouldn't hog tie himself. The first day I tied the tether to a block but the last 4 days I just let him drag it and when it was time to give him a shot I would slowly walk up and pick up the end of the 25' tether. Then I would move up the tether until I could grab him by the collar.

If there was a way to cinch him up to a post or wall you might be able to use your body to pin him long enough to give him the shots. My goats seemed to give up once I did that. You might be able to pull the tether through a loop or fence once you get it on to secure him. I would give him a treat (raisins or corn) when you are done too in hopes of making it more positive for him. My wild wether seemed to tame down a bit by the time I was done with 5 days of shots.

A pretty sad deal. Even if the goat was headed to market in a month I still wouldn't treat it that way.

13. SDjulieinSC

Don't laugh fishhead....but I was thinking about trying to rope him. I'm not much of a cowgirl but I was able to rope a wild boar twice when we had to relocate him. Talk about lucky shots! Not so sure I could do it again.
    Leaving the collar/rope is a good idea. I don't think the guy knows that this treatment is not a one shot deal. Some of the local rednecks think "a penecillin shot" cures any and every thing if they give it a large one time dose. I've more or less given up trying to educate them otherwise.
    Most likely if we ever get this guy treated the first time any follow up work will have to be done by myself, using my own meds and supplies of course.
    I'm a sucker and people have come to count on it. I just can't stand the thought of these same peoples animals suffering due to their ignorance or indifference.
    Wish us (the goat and I) luck!

14. fishhead

Good luck! What about your friend or is this "mans work"?

The world needs more people like you.

I thought about roping my goat too but my rope was the wrong kind. I think it would have worked if I could have put it on the end of a stick since most animals will let you get the stick closer than they will you.

If you can handle a wild boar this goat should be a piece of cake.

15. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I had a goat that had about the same thing. I had to give Penn G. Yes it has to be refrigerated. My vet said the same thing, if it is out for more then a few hours and is at all warm, toss it. He did say that if it is pass the exp date it is still ok for about 6 months. It's just not as strong. I also washed it out three times a day with tea tree oil and water.
    I would be afraid of having the rope and hose tied in the goat. Maybe it is because I have things I could see it getting stuck on. Is there any place you could pen him?. You are a great person to do this for him. :angel:

16. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

SDJulie: Where are you in SC? I'm just south of Cheraw. Wondering what kind of idiot you're having to deal with that owns that poor ol' goat. You're a sweetie for helping the poor animal.
    - Kathy

17. SDjulieinSC

I hardly deserve all of the kudos...I haven't done anything yet! My intentions are good but so far as I can tell thats not helped that poor critter one bit.
    As for roping the pig, he was only about 150 lbs and the two idiot "wildlife removal" guys I was giving him to were terrified of him. I didn't see any point in stressing the pig out by running him around the pen for hours in their half------ attempts to catch him. Sometimes you just have to go for it with animals that are not easy to handle in my opnion. Be aware of your options, know where the ropes are in relation to your feet,keep an exit strategy in mind and go for it (and most importantly remember to run like heck if you end up on the ground!!!).
    May need to keep all of this in mind if I ever get to see this goat, I hope he is not too sick to run. I'll keep ya updated if there is anything to tell.

18. fishhead

What has happened to this poor animal?

19. SDjulieinSC

Seem's that I'm being avoided. Not a word from the guy all weekend.....
    So I have no idea what's going on. I guess there is really nothing I can do if the guy won't let me. :shrug: It makes me feel bad. Thank you all for your advice and I will keep my new found knowledge somewhere in the back of my mind for the next time I need it.