Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have five chickens - two hens and three roosters. Dynamics are sure to change as I'll likely get rid of two roosters if (or when) they start to fight and I would like to add more hens in the spring.

I've been researching what they need to eat but it is surprisingly difficult to find good information as to what they need for a general balanced diet in terms of percent of protein, carbohydrates, calcium, etc.

I currently feed bagged food but I would like to grow and feed my own stuff. I'm finding a lot of information on different things to feed, but again not much on how much I'll need of everything so that I can sort of figure out the easiest way to set it all up.

I live on a 135 acre farm, most of which is pastureland. They are allowed to roam and forage during the day, but I'm not sure what they'll be able to find once winter sets in and there is snow on the ground. I'm thinking right now that I'll have to wait until next spring to really set things up but I'm trying to plan now and see what needs to be done.

I think that I can let them forage most of their feed in the spring/summer/fall and supplement with veggies and whatnot that we are growing, and I'll grow something so that I can store feed for them in the winter. But again, I need to know what they need so I'm sure they're getting it all of time.

So... advice?

EDIT: By the way - my chickens are still only about 3-4 months old so are relatively young, but their primary purpose will be to lay eggs.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
In winter I used crumbles, made sure they had crushed oyster shell for strong eggs, and threw mine table scraps of veggies, etc. Could you look at ingredients on the bag and base what you'll grow off that?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts