What kind are they?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by dunroven, Apr 9, 2005.

1. dunroven

dunroven Well-Known Member Supporter

I have some rabbits a lady gave to me because her kids were "tired of them" and she just didn't know what to do with them. Anyway, they are white all over with a rusty brown strip right down the middle of their backs. They're probably about 4 to 5 pound rabbits live, and are really pretty cute. They will produce some nice little ones for meat for us, so we are going to keep them, since that would be enough for just the 2 of us, but just wondering if anyone can tell me?

Thanks!

Valorie

2. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

Maybe an english spot mix ? Thats the only breed I can think of that has a line down the back...maybe someone else can help you :)

3. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think they're the only bunnies with a stripe down the back. Or maybe some sort of harlequin pattern?

4. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Checkered Giants and Rhinelanders also have a stripe down the middle of the back. Unfortunately, rabbit breeds cannot be identified by color or markings, alone. In the case of all 3 of these particular breeds, they all have the "full arch" body type (like a hare) and are not meat breeds, although any rabbit can be eaten. Are they full grown? Only the English Spot would be in the 5 to 8 lb. category when full grown... the other two are larger. However, the English Spot has other markings, as well, but the ones you have could be what we call "sports" (lacking color). The known varieties for English Spots are black, blue, chocolate, gold, gray, lilac and tortoise. They could also be crossbreeds involving one of the 3 breeds. For photos of the breeds, go to:

http://www.arba.net

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, 2005 ARBA Commercial Department Committee

5. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was thinking Rhines also but those are a larger breed rabbit.

Hopefully looking at the photos at the arba website will give you some idea as to what kind of rabbit you have :)