what kind a tractor?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fitwind, Sep 5, 2005.

1. fitwind

fitwind Well-Known Member

I got 14 acres of crop land and need to buy a tractor but don't have alot of money. So I was hoping I might get a few suggestions on what kind and size I should get.........

I'll Thank You now for any that you give........... :)

2. durangoranch

durangoranch Active Member

We have 30 acres of pasture and 30+/- woods. I use a Yanmar 2210D 4x4 with a front end loader. We got it fromm Tripple DDD tractor sales delivered for $8650.00. It's a 26hp 2cyl diesel and came with a 5' bush hog and 5' rotary tiller too. The man there is very nice and has loads of combos to choose from. www.tripleddd.com is the web site.

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Whatever you choose, make sure you have a local repair source available. Old, but largely true, adage is you can expect to spend more time working on farm equipment than using it.

4. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

The answer depends almost 100% on exactly how much you have to spend. To some, not a lot of money means $2,000; to others it's more like $10,000. There are tractors for sale all in that range that would probably work for you. At the low end of the range would be the Ford 8N (among others). Not a lot of power and forget a front-end loader, but hundreds of thousands of farmers did well with them in the '40s and '50s on small plots like yours. They still do. Easy to work on and parts are pentiful. I have one and it's amazing what it will do, for the price. Up from there you can pick and choose what you want.

5. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

How much land is not as important as what you want to do with the land.
    If all you want to do is mow it then the tractor could be differant than if you want to till or hay it.

6. 2horses

2horses I'm a silly filly!! Supporter

Steve, I'm buying a 8N this weekend! We'll use it mainly for mowing my sister's 7 acres and my 14 acre pasture, but I'm getting a post hole digger too. The hydraulics have been fixed (no leaking) and it runs great, for 2500. Does that seem like a good price to you? We're buying the shredder and post hole digger new....

Pam :cool: <--- has never owned a tractor in her life!

7. anojones

anojones Member

A good place to start looking is www.tractorbynet.com Check out the gray market and chinese tractor forums if price is a major obstacle. There is lots of info there on lots of different tractors- but the emphasis is on newer compact tractors (which are generally not inexpensive). You can also check out
    www.ytmag.com which has some articles on choosing an older tractor as well as info on older tractors if you go that route.

8. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

1. What operations are you planning on doing on your acres? Will a pto be most important, hydaulics, loader, a 3pt, raw pulling hp - what are your needs exactly?

2. What dealers/ parts sources are near you? It's not fun to own the _only_ tractor of that color/brand in the county, as even simple things like filters can be a hassle to find. Much less trying to get it repaired.

3. Can you put a better number on the $$$$ you wish to spend on a tractor? Can find a real cheap IHC or Oliver for $1000 that will do good pulling forever (no 3pt or loader...); or can find a good compact tractor with loader & 4wd for $8000; or you can find a brand new China import tractor with loader for $0000 - that sure is cheap, but you get what you pay for.

4. So, do you want new, used, gas, diesel, large, small.....

Without listing your location or any other details, your question is so vague for a national forum that we don't know where to begin with a reply. Way too many possibilities.

A note on the Ford N series - they were wonderful tractors way ahead of their time - 60 years ago. Now there are still thousands of them out there, with parts galore & easy to work on. But, they have very limited capibilities (no live pto, no live hyd, gear choices, no power steering, power, can flip backwards, etc.); they have no saftey features at all; and folks that don't know tractors seem to want them, so they are over-priced for what they are worth. That can work in your favor tho, as you trade it off for a better tractor it doesn't lose it's value..... Don't get me wrong, niffty little tractors, I like them, but be aware they lack a lot of features that are considered standard these days.

--->Paul

9. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

$2500 seems to pretty much be the "benchmark" price for an 8N in average to good condition. It's exactly what I paid for mine, with a decent 5' brush hog 4 years ago. It was repainted (not really restored). I could probably get the same for it today. Have fun with your new tractor!

10. 2horses

2horses I'm a silly filly!! Supporter

That's good to know! I am going to be co-owning it ith my sister and her husband, and more than likely he'll be the one maintaining it and all. Probably be the one to run it most of the time, too! LOL!! As long as I get my pasture mowed and post holes dug - that's all I'm worried about... until I need to fill stalls with sand! Then I'll be wishing we had a loader, I just know it!

Pam :cool: <------ knows how to operate a wheelbarrow really well.......

11. thedonkeyman

thedonkeyman Well-Known Member

Be very cautious when pulling any STUMPS or hooking to the like. As WHEEL tractors will turn over backwards, also when going UP a steep hill. A ROLL OVER BAR should be a strong consideration, used with a seat belt. BUT if get into work of this kind a CRAWLER (with tracks) is better. Keep your bucket low, go slow. Keep your filters clean and grease when needed. Use a fuel screen in your fuel containers. Provide a shelter, for that J.D. If fuel keeps going where I think it will you might consider four footed critters.

12. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

My notion is that around a 50hp tractor with a loader is ideal compromise for most uses. However thats probably going to mean several thousand. And for sure many people can get by with far less tractor, just that a 50hp tractor physically isnt whole lot bigger but can do whole lot more things than a small tractor.

I saw a newer 50hp MF with 4wd and loader at auction last spring, but geeze louise it went for around $16,000. Would have loved to had it though. I've driven 4wd tractors and really appreciate that extra traction. I ended up with an early 60's MF65 to replace my old MH444. Around 50+hp and diesel and it started easy and ran good, but no loader and needed brake work for $2200.

Friend at later auction bought a '72 JD 2030 I think, around 60hp with loader. I drove it home for him while he followed in truck. He gave around $8000+ for it including loader and a 8ft brushog. Badly needed some maintenence that previous owner failed to do though it runs ok. Brakes not good on it either. Seemed pricey to me (guess cause its a JD???), but big front hydraulic pump pushes that loader around nicely. Really wish mine had hydraulics and loader like that. Quite handy.

Thing is now with crazy fuel prices, 10 gal diesel is $30+. Ouch. Still value for work performed, but ouch. Have feeling fuel is going to plateau around what it is now for while. Got me thinking about rigging up something that could pull brushhog and runs off wood chips (wood gasification). Supposedly you can make a diesel run off such, but think I'd rather experiment with an old automotive gasoline engine. If I screw it up, no great loss. Diesels on other hand are rather pricey to rebuild.

13. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

Enjoy it. I wish I were getting mine this weekend :(

14. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Best tractor advice I have ever gotten and it still holds true:

1. Diesel engine
    2. Front end loader - single most useful tool on a homestead
    3. Power Steering (especially if you have loader). Incredibly hard to steer with a load in the bucket without the power.

I have a 1962 Ford 4000 with all of the above. Paid $3000 for mine, plus some repair dollars.

15. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Make sure you get an overriding clutch pto shaft to go along with it. This is a short pto shaft that slips on to your existing pto shaft. When you are brushhogging, without it, and you come say to a fence, ditch, tree, whatever, and yuou push in the clutch, the momentum of the brushhog keeps on pushing tyhe tractor. I have heard MANY Okies say this happened to them. Ferds were lousy here in Okieland when I first came here. There about all gone now. Ass somone saidf above, youlkl work on it more than use it. It seems to shake itself outa kilter.n Ivew never had one. My dad tried one in the 50s and it didnt work then, would die going uphill plowing, and it was onlyu around 10/15 yrs old then. But, on the otherhand, theyll make a good machanic outa you, and youll learn some new words n ot normally used in politer convewrsation. Theres an old joke aboutr fords and fordsons. Fix and repair daily. Good luck

16. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

I have 12 acres plowable. I nhave a 48 Cub Farmall with belly mower and a spring tooth cultivator that is fantastic as a large mower and for taking care of my 100X90 garden. I have a 1934 CC Case that I farm with. I have a full line of machinery and dont hire anything done here. If you are planning to raise corn, milo, beans, or other row crops on 10 acres, then were I you, id try to get a H or M Faarmall, or A or B JD,. or WD or WD-45 AC. Id also get a good one, for around $1500 to 2Gs. I paid $1200 for the Cub, and the Case was my grandpas I took when I left home.

17. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We have a John Deere with a front end loader; 4 wheel drive; diesel. Can't tell you how much we used it and for many different jobs. DH and I can't lift certain things otherwise. Always someone to work on it around here and parts are always available.

18. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I saw a John Deere tractor a few weeks ago that I simply fell in love with. A 4320 or 4710 or something. JD numbering makes my head hurt. Anyway it had a slick front end loader that you could take off and put on in seconds. It was SWEET. I wanted that tractor. Bad. Very bad. 23,000 dollars or so. Who need a new car I wanted that tractor. It is a good thing I left when I did. I could see myself doing something extremely stupid if I had taken it for a spin.

I've got to buy a tractor in the spring and I want one just like that. I just don't want to spend that much. 10 grand is my limit. Maybe 12 if is really nice.

19. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

Good luck. But I suspect you will find trying to dig post holes with an 8N an extremely frustrating experience. If ground conditions are just right, if you don't hit a root or rock, pay very close attention to what you are doing, it can be done. I imagine by the time you have fought the poor hydraulics on an 8N and dug out a stuck auger several times you will wish you had dug them by hand. At least I did. It didn't take me very long to get rid of mine and replace it with a 3000 Ford with a front end loader They were okay in there day, but so were Model T's. They are useful for light brush hogging and some other light work, but without live power and hydraulics they can be a pain in the backside to work with.

20. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

2horses,
    These are very good points about the hydrolics. Go to this link and e-mail this fella with your questions ... From my research, your problems can be fixed.

http://hometown.aol.com/wzsherman/myhomepage/sale.html
    Zane Sherman, Zanethang .... there's alot of very good information on the net about how to make your "n" Ford a better workhorse...or you can just get another, newer tractor.