Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a partridge I noticed this morning in the road on the way to work. I might be a weirdo and gawk at roadkill but couldn't very much while driving. So I hitched up the dog and we took a walk in the dark to recover the carcass. I thought it had been struck by a car as I almost hit one in that same area last week but no.

It's headless and otherwise perfectly intact (a little feather wear or plucked from the back).

I didn't know the birds have little comb-like scales on its feet. Pretty neat.

IMG_3485.JPG IMG_3483.JPG

·
Premium Member
27,082 Posts
Sounds like a mink. A mink broke into Mom's chicken coop once and ate only the heads off a couple birds. Another time a mink got into a rabbit cage and ate the head off a rabbit. She has a serious mink problem.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
I drove over a ruffed grouse several years back. It was decapitated, because it’s head was up as the undercarriage of the truck, and literally tore off its head. I ate it for dinner.

a predator would imho drag it off a ways. It think it was a vehicular decapitation, based on my experience and knowledge of grouse, and the height of their heads, vs. a vehicle.

the feet are “feathered” as a deep snow walking aid. Think snowshoes.

·
Registered
11,304 Posts
A Fox will eat a bird, bones and all. A bobcat will try and save a little for later and cover it like it was in a litter box. We have red tailed hawks that will take the head.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
In my experience with chickens, raccoons will take just the head, while hawks carry the whole thing off. I've seen them tear pigeons apart, eating the body and leaving the head.

I agree with farmerDale above-- if you found it in the road, it was probably road kill and not predation. A scavenger would eat the body, not the head.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Most likely just hit by a vehicle. Anything that might of killed it, would be likely to have carried it off and eaten it.

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most likely just hit by a vehicle. Anything that might of killed it, would be likely to have carried it off and eaten it.
Agreed, I don't think I would have left that without a fight if I had killed it. There was no blood at all in the road though. A mystery but I was sorry to see it dead no matter how it happened.

·
Premium Member
5,949 Posts
I found a couple of headless doves close by my house after the snow cleared in Feb. Thought that fairly odd.

Reactions: Gayle in KY
1 - 11 of 11 Posts