What killed my birds?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tome, Mar 20, 2005.

1. tome

tome Active Member

I have a flight pen and I had ten chuckars, four quail and three pheasants and two guineas in it. The wire rotted off at the ground where it goes beneath the ground and something go in my pen and killed all my birds in one nite. I have been trying to figure out what did it, four of the birds had been buried, does anyone have any idea what may have killed them?

2. Orville

Orville Well-Known Member

Could have been any number of critters. Look for tracks at the fence where the critter came in, and look for hair on the wire. Since some of the birds are buried, you have ideal circumstances for setting a few leg hold traps, about #3 size. Dig a small depression to make the traps even with the ground, cover them lightly, use a stake or drag. Keep the shovel handy for use when you catch the maurader.

3. KRH

KRH Resident Wino

The word buried makes me think canine. Ive delt with coons, opossums, owls, hawks, and more but the only things I ever had bury the remains for later wear dogs and fox. I know a yote will do the same thing. Orvilles right a leghold buried next to one of the already buried birds should nab the culprit. It will most likely come back to eat again.

4. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

A wesel can fit thru a very small hole. I put an electric fence about 3" above the ground 12" from the pen then another about 6" up the side of the pen to finally stop the killing.

mikell

5. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

Stumped!
    If you find out please tell me, I'm curious.
    Personal experience tells me its none of the above critters.
    I'd be willing to bet bobcat or lynx.

6. Drizler

Drizler Well-Known Member

They are a nasty ferret looking thing with the disposition ofr a wolverine. They are making a big comeback since fur went out of fashion. Chances are you will never see them but they will come right in and kill any small animal including small dogs. I can't say about the buryial of carrion thing. Easy to trap with a "220 kill trap on a diagonal pole which keeps most animals out except your cats ect. Best bet is to drop by the local trappin supply shop. He will tell you what is in the area that will do that. FWIW Fisher roam like wolves and live in hollow trees and range an area of up to 30sq miles females 10. One sign they are around is that all of the squirrels partridge and rabbits you usually see are gone. One killed all 5 of my cats in short order, even near the house and in daylight. I finally trapped a female (brown) the size of a large cat and it all stopped and the small critters all came back in time. Trapping season is very short but then there is no trapping season in a war zone. Like I said ask the local trapper supply, chances are he will know what it likely is. Taking a pic of the tracks with you will certainly help.

7. tome

tome Active Member

I still haven't caught the culprit, I did catch a opossum but I don't think that was the culprit. Something has killed a duck and two chickens in daylight, probably the same animal. I've got a dead rooster for bait with a trap set to try and catch whatever it is. I will let you know if I catch anything.

Thanks guys,
    Tom

8. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member