Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I know I have been fairly absent this summer.

Things have been just that busy even though I have so much solitude now that my DH
is off driving. He seems really happy out there.
His company just upgraded him to a brand new Freightliner truck.
(as someone who has never owned a new car, this is a bit of a big deal.)
It is an automatic even. I guess they are going to pretty much ALL automatics pretty soon.
Phasing out the many gear system after all these years. (big sigh)

Anyhow, I have been knitting stuff.
I don't have room for a million pics, but here are a few things.

Kasota may recognize this color scheme.
This is what I did with that braid you sent me during TdF.
It is a shawl/scarf called Pimpelliese.

10542017_919493971398971_9116845476760315839_n.jpg

I liked the pattern so well that I am working it up again, only in seed stitch.
This is yarn I spun from PKBoo's ewe Freaky Freda. :D

10624789_919493991398969_9031968926918229564_n.jpg

A close up where you can see my matching nail polish.

10672173_919494501398918_267512041514825278_n.jpg

These socks are made from the sock yarn Kasota sent me too.

10411932_919494178065617_5515666532172572891_n.jpg

Remember that beautiful superwash braid I spun during TdF?
It became these socks.

10687212_919494081398960_6860083907825678240_n.jpg

My primary sidekick here in the tick-infested Ozark weeds hasn't changed at all.
Sailor is still my staunchest supporter.

10301278_919494194732282_5410311100411070133_n.jpg

I have been keeping up with the FAC thread, but not much else.
Hope to have more time to visit with you all here.
I have been working hard and working out too.
Lost 33 pounds so far. :dance:

Happy knitting!
xoxo

10349154_919493948065640_5755427985075720252_n.jpg

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Congratulations on the 33 pounds! That's awesome!
Looks like you have been busy, are you still milking all the cows too?

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. :)
I did milk cows all summer long.
Between 75 and 100 head depending on the week.
We went up to 3 times a day milking from April-Sept. That was some stupid hard work, right there.
My sleep schedule was just a series of naps for half of each week.
Then I did 21 days w/o one off during corn chopping. Fun stuff.
Couple that with keeping under 1500 calories and eating clean...

its been transformative. :eek:

I haven't weighed this little since before I had kids.
I am still 11 pounds above my highschool weight, but I couldn't squat then what I do now either.
I guess my hips have spread some. :D

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
I have missed you and I am so happy to see you back here :)

Love all your work! As usual it is all beautiful and the colors are so festive. Do you have a link to that shawl pattern you can share with us?

Congratulations on the weight loss that is fabulous! Sailor is adorable! I will look forward to you posting more in the coming months.

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The scarf/shawl pattern is one ravelry. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pimpelliese.
I look forward to making a little time for this forum too. :)

Got the goats sheared and I am currently spinning the wool off Reggie's head on the trindle.
It is just a couple ounces of very soft fuzz so I am going to make a 2 ply laceweight with it.
The fiber is so fine that I didn't even wash it before carding. I was worried it would felt.

Here's Reggie.
He is really growing into a big boy with a wide neck and his mamas snotty attitude. :p

10390367_856867394328296_5619350336559843681_n.jpg

·
Interrobanger
5,656 Posts
delighted to see what you have been up to, GAM!

The knitting and spinning is amazing as usual- and I love how the green in the shawl matches the green in your eyes. :)

So happy your DH is happy in his work - that can make all the difference. :) And :clap: for him on the new truck- that must be some heady stuff- driving the road in a big new shiny rig!

And congrats on the personal successes in the weight loss and health arena- I know you have been working hard at it- that kind of stuff doesn't just happen by itself.

Note to self: ahem. Get with it, you slackard. :grin:

Loved it that you could catch us up.

You are, as you have always been, an enterprising and creative muse for many of us here.

Were it not for your inspiration and Marchwind's insidious persistence, I would not be knitting- much less spinning. ;)

Thank you again for your part in all of this. :) :grouphug: :kiss:

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Wow, good to hear from you ! I miss your posts !! Reggie has grown so much ! What a sassy look he has ! ...and Sailor has that sweet disposition look that makes you want to snuggle him up !
The socks and shawls are beautiful .... love the seed stitch colored one !

30 lbs ?!? BE PROUD !!! Not easy to do ...... you look GREAT !!!!

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After I had quit smoking (18 months tobacco free now!) I just shifted my self-soothing habit over to eating. :rolleyes:
Oh, and sugary drinks. Plus too much alcohol. It sort of all snuck up on me.
I had an epiphany one day when I realized I couldn't fit into ANY of my jeans anymore. :pig:

That was back in February. I think I talked about some of this stuff here back then.

What I ended up doing was joining one of those food tracking websites
and I threw myself into learning all about nutrition and stuff.
You guys know how I like to learn stuff. LOL
Now I know the names of all the muscles, for one random example.

It was almost like being born again or joining a cult.
Initially I really had to pull back from my old patterns and the people who supported them.
Things got sort of monastic, almost.
It takes a lot of will power to tell people no. But I just kept trying.

Just the other day I had an almost argument with a fastfood worker.
She pointed out to me that I could have 2 more sides with the combo for the same price.
(yeah, I know how the combo thing works)
I told her again that I did not want the combo.
Finally I had to say very firmly and louder that I do not need those extra 750 calories added to this meal.
And sort of glared at her.
Then she took it personally, of course she did.
What are you going to do though? :shrug:
Don't tell me I should just let them give me the salty, fatty, carby delicious stuff and then throw it away, either.
That is not how it works when you are on a diet. :cool:LOL

I KEEP trying. I realized that all the days are going to pass whether I care about myself or not.
A little pinch in my belly where the mashed potatoes used to be is its own strange comfort.
The rewards outweigh the fleeting gratification of over indulgence.
I still eat all the yummy stuff, just the notorious "in moderation".

Its working for me.
I will try not to get too preachy on the topic.

:D

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
GAM I am so proud of you and your determination :cool: You Rock :rock: It does take a lot of determination and it isn't easy when you have others trying to sabotage your efforts, whether they mean to or not. Keep sticking up for yourself you are doing a great job. It's a life transforming thing you're doing.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
GAM, you are my inspiration!! Doc says I gotta lose 40 pounds or I'll be in trouble.

So I am in that learning stage but doing pretty well, all told. Kidney issues complicate things a bit, but not so much that I'm starving. LOL! So far I have lost 4 pounds. I miss sugar in my coffee. Stevia is not so bad, though.

Anyway - congratulations on the weight loss and having all that determination! I'll think of you when I say, "No, thank you" to the cookies and cupcakes that people keep offering at work. :)

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good job Kasota!
I have averaged only around a pound a week.
I see lots of people who lose quicker than I.
Everyone is different, that is for sure.

One thing that seems unanimous is the need to get any digestive issues under control.
Whether it is an acid issue, or a bile issue, either one of those things is HUGE in how we process food.
(seems obvious, but it is surprising how few people put it together that way).

Good luck on the journey to health. Just keep trying and never give up. You can do it. :)

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
GAM! Good to see you!! Love that green on you, it is perfect. And, as always, your socks rock. And thnx for the ravelry link...when I finish typing this I am sure I will be there for awhile...lol...
I recently just resurfaced myself...and kept wondering where you were! I missed seeing your posts!!

Congrats on the weight loss, and my DH would have loved to get a new truck when he was on the road. But, his were always the old cranky trucks...hehe.
Your an inspiration...I need to shed at LEAST 40 pounds...working in a chocolate factory is not good for a chocoholic.

hope to see you around again soon! :thumb:

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
Kasota do you know about the connection between raisins/grapes and people with kidney issues?

I wish you both continued success.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Marchwind, yes I do know about the issues with raisins and grapes. At this point my potassium and phosphorus are in the normal range but I'm not interested in pushing it and I'd like to see them come down a bit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts