Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

This year I am bound and determined NOT to let spring catch me by surprise! :)

I want to order my seeds early and be ready to order seedlings when I want too! Sometimes I get a really great catalog at my house and sometimes I don't. Can't remember the name of the company though.

Which begs the question, who are your favorites for ordering these types of products?

Thank you,

Chris E.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
In your area Southern seed exchange in ?VA might be a good choice. Good amount of seed for the price IIRC. I've also ordered from edible landscaping up that way and was pretty happy- not all plants survived but then I never get 100% from any supplier!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I love Baker's Seeds, but having to narrow down my selections is a real dilemma. They have such a wide variety, and lots of heirlooms.

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
I get mine from my local feed store. They get them in bulk quantities and sell them a whole lot cheaper then catalogs and you get a whole lot more seeds in the packages. In fact I usually have enough seeds leftover to plant again the following fall or next spring.

Plus, I save a lot of seeds from the garden for next years crop.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Southern Exposure Seed Exchange would be great for you, as Jenn noted. Every once in a while I get an entire package of "dud" seeds from them, probably due to mishandling - over heated or something in storage, I guess. But I still use them and like them.

I also like Seed Savers Exchange. Oh, their catalog!!
So many beans!
So many melons!
And I think they're all open pollinated, which is important to me but may not be to you.

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
Usually Baker's Creek Heirlooms. But for the past two years I've ordered 1.00 per pack seeds from an Ebay supplier from Chico, California and have been very pleased! The only thing they haven't had is OP corn, which I'll order from Pinetree online probably.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts