What is your one indulgence that you can't do without?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Nik, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Nik

Nik Well-Known Member

I was wondering what thing it is that you buy or do that doesn't mesh with the whole simple, back to basics living. Try as I might, I CANNOT give up my love of and my buying of good wine. With all of the other changes I've made to my life to get rid of the unnecessary and get back to the frugal way of living, I still have an absolutely STUPID amount of incredible, although sometimes expensive, wine. If I could live out in the woods, with only the basics needed to survive, I would be able to get by as long as my wine cellar was plugged in ready to dispense whatever wine I needed for the meal or occasion I had coming up.

Aargh.

So what is it you CANNOT do without?

Nik

2. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Liquered up coffee on Sunday mornings! :rolleyes:
    I look forward to my cup of coffee with Irish cream and Kahlua. IMO, if your going to work hard, you oughtta be able to enjoy certain things as a self-indulgent reward. ;)

3. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Comic books! As an English major and someone who appreciates fine art I really enjoy most comic books and their play off of classical themes- the several Xmens over the last 30 years dealing with Paradise Lost, the very fine Neil Gaiman works in Sandman and Books of Magic, etc. Its also fun to go to movies that were originally comix also- Mystery men, League of Xtraordinary Gentlemen, Men IN Black, and of couse the Batman and Xman and Spiderman series. I also enjoy SOME manga comics and shows- Cowboy Bebop, Excell Saga, Video Girl. We are lucky that our nephew in law owns the local Comic Shop. We don't get a discount, but the employees move heaven and earth to obtain our hearts desires when they tend to be a little out of the ordinary.

We were late converts to 2 adult themed comics- Omaha the Cat Dancer, which was anthropomorphic in its art, and Paradise Lost. The art was so great on Omaha the Cat Dancer that I was excitedly telling GFB once I had seen a middleaged jowly man who looked just like one of the characters, and he said "No he doesn't- it's a CAT!!"

4. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Me, too. Only I have it every morning & afternoon. It got too expensive to buy Irish Cream so I had to learn how to make it.

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

COFFEE.
    I could not live without coffee. A darker brew like Starbuck Yukon Blend is more an indulgence. Other than that, I would prefer Columbian and the odd time a good shot of espresso.
    Chocolate is a weakeness, though I consider it a 'necessity of life' occasionally. I can drink coffee with eating eating chocolate, but I don't care for flavored coffee except the odd time I'll have mocha cappacino.
    :haha:

6. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Coffee, tea AND real cream!

At home, I drink thrifty blends of coffee ... but whenever I go into the closest big city, I run straight to a local coffee place and get me either a latte (in winter) or an iced latte (in summer).

I also drink a pot of tea every afternoon, with some real cream in each cup. Yum!

Oh and lemon juice.

:D For homemade lemonade (made with homemade stevia extract :) ). Which is what I drink when I'm not drinking coffee or tea.

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My computer and internet service.

8. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

Nothing. I lived for 45 years thinking I could absolutely not live without cigarettes. I am 6 months with no smokes and seem to be doing pretty well.
    Keeping my fingers crossed though.

9. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

I could not survive without my tea, don't even want to thimk about it :eek: It doesn't hurt to have an occasional box of Godiva chocolates to go with it. either. :D

10. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Definitely my coffee. Actually, it's a bit of a family joke about me and my coffee addiction... :eek:

For DH, it would be the high-speed internet. He refuses, point blank, to EVER go back to dial-up.

Tracy

11. mygrayfarm

mygrayfarm Well-Known Member

12. sage

sage On a City lot for now

Mochas (made at home of coures) and tea in the afternoons!

Internet is a very close second.

sage

13. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I would never willingly go " back to basics" and if I was forced into it, I would be one of the new leaders of the venture to return society to its technological pre collapse stature and hopefully beyond. I would draw incentive for my quest by holding "tushy cushy" toilet paper in reverence as my holy grail :)

14. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

My hot tub. Guess I could make a homestead wood burning version. When I work on my place all weekend, that hot tub is very valuable to soak the aching muscles, plus I like to watch the stars or feel the rain or snow on my face throught the steam.

A close second is the internet also.

15. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Cheese. Super sharp cheddar. Would take two cans of hinny whoop to get me away from it. But can streach a pound package for 20 days.

16. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

chocolate.
    mountain dew.

mel-

17. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

when you get right down to it, I think I do without most everything but hot running water. Call me self indulgent, but nothing beats a hot shower when you are cold, tired and miserable. Or in labor. Or need to think. Or have a migraine. :haha:

followed by Coffee and internet.

18. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Guiness beer, sure there are dandy imitations and I can even brew a few myself but none truely equal the best. Its about my only indulgance, and I only fork out the price for it two or three times a year.

19. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I made 2 trips to Guatemala in 2002 to visit and then pickup our son we adopted. While there, I got hooked on the coffee. That has to be THE BEST coffee in the world. If you get a chance try some.

I too have to have my coffee in the mornings. Just starts the day off right.

20. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Coffee, the finer the better, and real cream and real butter. Don't drink but two cups everymorning, but it helps to 'smell the coffee" in the mornings.

DSL access is a close second!
    Fine Perfume is a third. Don't wear much, but like Nina Ricchi and Hermes and so keep the "real stuff" on hand!

Sidepasser