What is your most successful product or service?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by RandB, Jun 14, 2006.

1. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

My DH is going to be retiring from his off-homestead job soon. I am wondering if there is something we can grow or raise, and sell that will help replace some lost income. Currently we sell eggs and occasionally some excess poultry or sheep. But, that is not a great amount of income. Just wondering if somebody has found something that really goes over well, that could be done on about an acre if it is something grown. We are zone 7, I believe. We are near a lot of suburban areas and a couple of cities, so I'm guessing there is a market out there, if we could figure out what to sell it ! Ideally we would like to at least be able to cover the cost of our property taxes.
    What is successful for you?

2. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

My DH has bee hives. Very interesting work and easy to do on a small place.

3. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

We sell beef and hogs by the sides. We started by selling to friends from our church. When a customer refers someone, they get 10% off their next order. Do not give it away. People will pay for a quality product.

4. Old_Grey_Mare

Old_Grey_Mare Ain't what she used to be

5. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I make maple syrup. It retails for almost $50 per gallon. I sharpen carbide saw blades for $.26 per tooth, and I make good money