What is your latest preparation?

Discussion in 'Survival & Emergency Preparedness' started by Murby, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Jlynnp

Jlynnp Well-Known Member

We planted 3 apple trees so far and plan to add 3 more apples and 2 peach trees . Adding to our water stash by buying 2 - 3 cases a week. I added 25 pounds of flour packed in mylar and a bucket. Also packed several servings of rice and beans by using our Food Saver vacuum sealer. Oh yea also put 25 pounds of sugar into half gallon jars.

We dod have a small stash of freeze dried foods we purchased on line, tried it and it is not bad. Will work in a pinch. Still need more sugar and flour also baking soda and powder. Will be working on some meals in jars which will be easy to cook. Slow but sure we are getting there.

Murby and HeavyHauler like this.
  2. HeavyHauler

HeavyHauler Well-Known Member

Started 292 seed pots and got them under my light panel.

Still have another 400+ to start, plus 5 saskatoons, 2 haskap, 25 raspberry, 50 strawberry, 3 rhubarb and not sure what else. Oh 10 asparagus crowns.

My yard is gonna be full.

I'm going to place another fruit tree/bush order to plant at our BOL's and do some propagation and what not on some of the wild varieties growing there.

nehimama and Murby like this.

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Planted a dwarf apple and apricot, started planting the garden.

The garden is really not a prep because I will benefit from it in 2 months time, but it COULD be a prep if it hits the fan: a true win - win situation! In the mean time I am looking forward to fresh peas, beans, taters, and salad veggies.

And with the money saved I will pay bills and buy canned meat. If it does hit the fan I can always make bean sprouts for veggies but meat is harder to come by.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    nehimama, HeavyHauler and Murby like this.
  4. Murby

Murby Well-Known Member

You know, you can save the expensive (and breakable) 1/2 gallon jars and pack sugar into standard 2 liter pop bottles. It will store for decades and decades just fine.

nehimama likes this.
  5. catsboy

catsboy Well-Known Member

I planted 3 filbert nut trees and a pecan tree. I now have 4 nut trees and 7 fruit trees, apple, pear and cherry. I plotted out log home location and they broke ground last Wednesday. I need one more pecan tree for pollination. I had ordered one but they did not send it with this order so I have a credit and I hope to get it in the ground at the end of May. That will be the next time I'm there.

nehimama and Murby like this.
  6. flewism

flewism Well-Known Member

My latest prep I bought last week is a cross bow, I pick it up tomorrow.

nehimama, theakersfamily and Murby like this.
  7. HeavyHauler

Ordered an 8 light panel w/light bulbs, ratchet straps and a heating mat. Waiting on the heating mat to come in. Got a 5% discount and free shipping.

High quality lights, good service

nehimama likes this.
  8. damoc

damoc Well-Known Member

This is the completed bed with some raddishes,beets and lettuce starting to grow.

HeavyHauler likes this.
  9. Murby

Murby Well-Known Member

10. Murby

Murby Well-Known Member

Just added 300 gallons of diesel fuel to my supplies.

11. HeavyHauler

Planted some potatoes, garlic, shallots and onions today.

Earliest I ever planted them, but last year my onions didn't do so well. So I'm trying something different.

I didn't use all of my sets, wanted to hold some back to plant later.

12. catsboy

catsboy Well-Known Member

Two weeks ago I bought two 150 gallon fuel tanks. I'm using one for diesel and one for gas.

13. Meinecke

Meinecke Well-Known Member

Scavenged 300 feet Chain link fence for free to improve chicken run
    Got a stick welder to be finally able to manipulate the world around me in a civilized mannor(not wood working anymore)
    Got all my gardinen, indoor and outdoor tools serviced, repaired and maintained to start fresh into the hopefully soon upcoming season

HeavyHauler likes this.
  14. Murby

Murby Well-Known Member

I'm afraid of storing gasoline.. it goes bad too quickly.. Even with sta-bil added it only lasts for a year.
    I keep 20 gallons around for the yard machines but that's about it.

anniew likes this.
  15. damoc

damoc Well-Known Member

If you can find a place to buy it AvGas Aviation Gasoline is supposed to keep extremely well I heard this from a old aircraft mechanic and pilot.I expect it is safe for most gas engines and has a higher octane rating to begin with.
    PS he mentioned this long lasting AvGas was supposed to have something to do with civil defense back in the day

Murby likes this.
  16. Seth

Seth Well-Known Member

I bought toilet paper before going to the Mexican restaurant. Seth

17. muleskinner2

muleskinner2 Well-Known Member

I built a small cabin inside a twenty foot shipping container. Shhhhhhh, don't tell my neighbors it has a flush toilet. They will all be coming over to visit.

Muleskinner1

18. HeavyHauler

Got in all my fruit trees/bushes/plants and asparagus yesterday. Planting today.

Also digging out 3-4 raspberry bushes from an old lady's yard that I get for free.

Also got 5 large white fish from my bear guide buddy for free, says he's gonna drop off some bear meat when he gets back to town.

Life is good here in the north.

I need to figure out how to post photos.