What is your ideal neighborhood?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by jen74145, Jan 11, 2007.

1. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

We live in the city limits... teeny, 700 person city. You aren't supposed to have any livestock over ten pounds on less than three acres, and no way to get a permit. But, some neighbors have two horses on a half acre (fat, sassy, and spoiled, lol) and there are cattle hidden across the road by a stand of big ol' trees. However, I am skittery about breaking any ordinances, the local good ole boy "shirrif" has nothing better to do than be nosy. So, I was thinking...

My neighbors all have decent sized lots (1/2 to 3/4 acre), and no one uses theirs for anything... I was thinking how great it would be if we all took down our fences and used the material to run a perimeter fence, thus allowing plenty of space for livestock such as dairy goats, a couple steers, a pen for a few pigs. Some of our neighbors are quite elderly, so they could just sit back and enjoy the fruits of "us young people's" labor. We'd likely leave a couple areas fenced for gardens, and a stand of fruit trees and berry brambles and grape vines. Heh heh, and thumb our noses at the rude city secretary who totally disapproves of livestock, lol.

Just bothers me to see so much land put to waste... there are some people somewhere near by with geese and a rooster, I assume hens, as I hear them from time to time. Sadly, none of our neighbors seem to care about producing their own food, so guess this will stay a dream...

2. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

700 person CITY? LOL around here thats a village .But the upside is you may be able to get a new law pretty easy.I know they are always putiing in a new and usually dumb law here so it must not be too hard.
    last time they passed and ordenace that wont allow vegatation more than 6 inches tall.....pretty hard on trees! Or even tomato plants. Of course they said THATS not what we ment and we wont enforce it like that. What THAT means is they will do what ever THEY want to homever THEY are POed at.

3. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

My ideal neightborhood is one without neighbors within a mile!

4. PcH8er

PcH8er Well-Known Member

Neighborhood implies that I would want any neighbors.

5. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, I do not WANT neighbors... but we searched and searched for a place we could afford, and round here, this was the only one without a TERRIBLE foundation. Might as well make the best of it.

6. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

I'm with Ardie/Wi - I love my neighbors - but the nearest is over a mile away.

Cathy