What is your homesteading dream?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mama2littleman, Jun 18, 2005.

1. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

I know a lot of us on the forum are already living it, but some of us are still working towards it. And even those who have already begun their journey most likely have a few improvements they would like to make, or a different direction they would like to explore.

So, to start things off properly, this is mine (lucky for me it's hubby's dream too).

We want to save up enoough money and build enough equity in our current home to accomplish the following:

Purchase a rural homestead with at least 100 acres of land.

I want a HUGE garden with lots of vegetable and fruit trees and berries

CHickens! We want to raise our own chickens and have our own eggs.

DH has agreed to a Cow/calf pair so we can have fresh milk and homegrown meat. we are currently leaning towards the Dexter Breed.

Guineas, we want a bunch of guineas to run clean up on the bug population.

DH wants enough land and good enough forage to support a healthy wild deer and turkey population for hunting.

A good old-fashioned farm house with things like a root celler and wood stove for cooking and wood heat.

DH also wants a nice "workshop" where he can tinker to his hearts delight (He want's it to have electricity and running water for when he's in the dog house).

Lots of flower beds for me, and I want to encourage the wild plants for wild harvesting food. If I can get a nice edible mushroom patch in there as well, I'd be a VERY happy camper.

Enough space for DS to have adventures and let his imagination run wild.

Maybe a nice pond for fishing.

These are some of the things we envision on our "perfect" homestead.

So, what are your dreams?

Nikki

2. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

My homesteading dream is based on laziness, which for me includes hating to drive.

My dream homestead will have all the fruits and nuts of the world growing on trees vines bushes etc throughout, enough for us to eat our fill in season and put enough up for the rest of the year. Including an orangery if lemons and oranges can't grow outside. It will have an extensive fertile vegetable and herb garden. I'll plant and tend this, that much I'll do for myself. And I expect to have to spend years getting as close as possible to this Garden of Eden but would be perfectly happy to buy it (if I could) already developed.

It will have extensive flower gardens- not all the flowers of the world, but room for me to add them all in over time if I want. Flowers for cutting to fill the house and for just walking past, sitting under, etc. Honeysuckle drifting over the edge of the swimming pool is one image I've cherished and hoped to achieve someday after a friend told me of such a place long ago.

It will have chickens and turkeys and peafowl which I love and enjoy raising. Ducks? Geese? Swans? Better on the neighbor's pond where I can see them but don't have to care for them.

It will have extensive woods and fields with a stream or so for me to walk my dogs and kids in, and for flowers to be planted in. I am not a faarmer, so maybe I'll have a big acreage but rent it out to an organic farmer.

It will be NEXT DOOR to an organic beef and dairy (cattle and goats) farmer- maybe I could raise the beef cattle but not the milk animals- who makes cheeses for me to buy along with my milk and butter. And perhaps grows grain organicly (or on land rented from me) for me to use to make my bread and rice. I'll be happy to train up to care for their animals when they go away on holiday.

A swimming pool possibly designed to look like the Colorado River water hole in Texas state park- anyone been to that pleasure spot? A well designed house with minimal heating and cooling needs, solar panelled and net sellor elec to the grid. Well away from neighbors of any sort but who are all kind and organic.

Wish me luck!

3. punkrockpilot

punkrockpilot Well-Known Member

My dream is to be so self reliant that if I choose to, I never have to see another living person again.

4. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

All of those dreams are wonderful and reasonable in light of today's world.

FACTS= the better way to homesteading is to be in an area where each person specializes; ya get this from them, ya give this to them, everyone does what they love to do.

e.g. A cow calf pair for milk and meat does not take into account for how ya get the girl cow bred to calve and freshen next year.

As for the no-human-contact necessary thing, I totally agree.

You MUST grow what ya enjoy but do NOT figure to grow everything you crave or need; and NO your mind will not totally adjust discipline to overcome your cravings and emotions.

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Using less hydrocarbon fuels.
    Job on the farmstead and not away
    Foraging and maintaining areas devoted to foraging berries, mushrooms, fish and game.
    Heritage Turkeys
    Muskovy Ducks
    Brown Egg Layer pastured chickens
    Garden or field grown animal feed without inorganic chemicals
    Dogs, both companions and Guardians
    Select seed starting to transplant stage for garden and flower plants
    mega composting to supply garden fertilizer needs
    vermicomposting and worm culture
    biodiversity study and inventory of the flora and fauna on the property
    photography both wildlife and interesting farmstead, landscape scenes
    dehydrating foods, and other methods to put food by
    winter trails
    bird houses, feeders, and attracting song birds for the sunroom observation
    sunset deck
    rotational pastures for various domestic grass fed animals (meat goats? )
    tractor, lawn tractor, poultry incubation and brooding equipment, tiller, more compost bins, more fencing, more posts.....and more time!

6. IwannaFarm

IwannaFarm Well-Known Member

That's a tough question. I have it in my head, but it's hard to put it into words.

I want to rely less on the economy, on my local grocery store. I want to be less at the mercy of the almighty dollar.

I want to do as much as I can myself, while still maintaining joy and satisfaction in providing for my husband and children.

I want to be surrounded by animals, growing things and God's gorgeous creation. I want to walk out my door in the morning and think of God first thing.

I want my children to learn these things, how to provide for themselves because our plentiful, rich society cannot stay that way forever.

So to that end, I want to learn how to have a nice vegetable garden (currently enthralled with Square Foot), and how to store food for winter.
    I want to have animals to provide for meat and dairy (not sure which, but I definately want chickens).
    I would like an alternative form of energy, either a generator or solar or wood or something.
    I would like to learn how to make my own clothes and housewares so I don't have to spend so much money at WalMart.

7. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Original dream and why I moved here:
    Go off grid, use wind and solar power, use the water capturing system of the Chilean mountains, grow all my own veggies, herbs and fruits, learn how to make the land work in harmony with a stocked fish pond and fish poop fertilizes veggies etc...

Current dream:
    Please God, don't let it flood again this fall! Now I spend all my time preparing for the next flood season. I hope within maybe 2 more seasons I'll get it all figured out and can go back up to the original dream. First season 1-3 foot of water for 7 months. Second season 1 foot of water about 4 months. This will be the third season and I'm spending all my time outside preparing for and trying to prevent the flooding. Building elevated sidewalks to get back to the pig house (about 2/3rds done), clearing land to build drainage channels (this morning's project), got the elevated driveway put in already. Got guys coming to build up the dirt around the house.

Thank goodness it doesn't flood in the back where the gardens are going to go. So once the house situation is under control, I can just start the gardens and the vineyard (fortunate enough to have bought property with established grapes, onions and berries!).

The one thing I have done that was in line with my original dream is to build pretty little paths in the woods, one person wide, so you can just walk through the woods without getting scraped up. It's nice for me but not necessary, but for my "townie" relatives and friends, it's a must. And I do have the garden area cleared, but can't justify spending time on a garden when flood season is only 5 months away.

8. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

Old farm place on the prairie that has at least 40 acres. We would move the chickens and geese, grow our goat herd and buy a cow/calf pair. We would not plan to completely support ourselves on the land, dh is a trucker, just reduce expenses so that he can be home more and we can grow/support most of our needs.

Cheryl

9. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

I agree with that!!

10. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

I want to be in an earth sheltered, or completely underground, grid free home.
    Room for a hoss for my wife & a mammoth jack for me.
    Have an "open house" policy for schools to bring kids to see how alternative energy works, maybe even a solar cooker weiner roast.

Nearest neighbors about 3 light years away...

11. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Great visions everyone! Please keep them coming. You ar not supposed to know this, but my nefarious plan is to go over your ideas and see what I missed in my dream.

Jenn ... I completely forgot about nuts. I must add them to the list.

NWSneaky ... No bringing reality into this discussion! It's my dream and the Cow freshens magically. Besides DH, being a born and bred farm boy, is in charge of livestock management. He has to figure that out. I'm the garden guru!

quntmphscs I love the idea about woodland paths, I'm going to have to steal that idea as well. You have me sympathy about flood season. Having just moved to Texas, I recently learned the real purpose of those beautiful arroyos. The thought of Flash floods is very frightening, but all you can do is try to prepare and make the best of what you have.

Moonwolf, I love the idea of raising heritage breeds of livestock and heirloom plants. If for no other reason then to preserve the genetic diversity in our plant and animal life. Also, there is the history and the stories that go with them. For example, I'm currently growing two heirloom tomato plants that were distributyed by another tomato enthusiast. The story behind the palnts is that he got them from his elderly Italian neighbor whose husband brought the over from Italy after WWII. One is a slicing tomato, one is a sauce tomato, and she named them after her husband and his best friend Rinaldo and Ernesto. I have no idea what these tomatoes will taste like yet, but you just have to grow them for the sake of the story and to preserve that little piece of history.

Thank you all for sharing your dreams with me.

Nikki

12. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Hubby and I are already working on our dream and it seems to grow and change as we go. We initially wanted about 30-40 acres so we could stop boarding our five horses and we wanted it somewhere between our parents, but some place my hubby could transfer. That turned out to be Memphis, TN. Land prices around Memphis were steep so we started looking in MS. Soon realized that 30-40 acres wasn't enough to keep humanity at bay. Ended up buying 96 acres which is surrounded by a flood plain. That's great news for us because no one is allowed to build in a flood plain here.

We bought the place three years ago last month and finally moved into the new Victorian style farmhouse last year. Didn't get the fences up and horses moved until this past October. Due to each of us having surgeries last summer I wasn't able to have a garden so this year is the first one I've had in three years (had a small garden in my suburban Dallas back yard).

In the past year we've grown to a family of six dogs, five cats, the original five horses and seven chickens. I absolutely love gathering my own eggs knowing that my chickens are healthy and free of any harmful chemicals, etc.

I also love growing my own food organically and have really gotten my city boy hubby hooked on gardening that way as well. He has already decided that this year's garden is not large enough and has plans to build me even more raised beds this fall. He also wants to put in a fall garden. All it took was one mess of new potatoes with homegrown English peas to convince him there was nothing better than food from your own garden.

Now he wants to put in some more fencing and raise a couple head of cattle so we can stop buying meat at the grocery store. He's even encouraging me to buy organic meats now! I still haven't convinced him we should raise a pig, but I'm not giving up!

I've planted mulberry and apple trees, blueberry and raspberry bushes. Last year I made Elderberry and Kudzu jelly. I'm hoping to gather more wild fruits/berries and make jellies, syrups and wine.

We are in the process of moving native flowers, etc. into the flower beds around the house. I'm growing birdhouse gourds this year so we can put up Martin houses in the future.

In January we converted 33 acres back to wetlands by planting 9,300 native trees (mostly oaks and cypress). These we will allow to grow to encourage habitat for wild animals and birds. The only harvesting to be done will be damaged or sick trees for firewood. We insisted the builder put in a wood burning fireplace. My sister is giving me a wood stove that we will install in the barn or garage. I haven't decided where I want it yet.

I also plan to salvage a lot of stuff from my Daddy's place. He has an old wringer washing machine that I would love to get my hands on. It's just sitting out in the weather so I'm sure he'll let me haul it home. He's also told me he'll give me his old corn sheller as we plan to put in a couple acres of corn next year to help feed the horses and chickens.

It would be great if we could convert to solar and wind power, but that's something else I'm still working on hubby about. Right now we get our electricity from a small local co-op. Our water comes from a well. We also had a well dug at the barn.

After our dog was run over by the mail lady in January we put a chain across our driveway at the road (the driveway is a half mile long) with a "Private Property Keep Out" sign on it. It's our goal to eventually have a gate there so that no one has access to our place (at the road there's a deep diversion ditch that runs the length of our property, effectively cutting off all access). We put a wooden "delivery box" at the chain gate so that UPS and FedEx can leave packages without coming to the house. Now I can shop online in peace and quiet. It's great!

13. Ahne Homestead

Ahne Homestead Well-Known Member

Great question...I hope to gleen ideas from those that post also.
    Dream
    To live in an older house that is full of history. Accomplished. We live in a stone house built in 1851 that has been added on to upward and to the east.
    Have a wood workshop. Accomplished. The barn has a concrete floor, 220ac, and running water.
    Grow a garden, fruit trees and berries. partly accomplished. We put in a small garden this spring. The property came with peach, aprocot, mulberry, and nectreen trees along with red and white rasberries, and blackberries. Goal for next year is to plant some apple trees and cherry trees.
    Raise enough livestock to eliminate trips to the butchershop. So far I have 28 RIR's two being roos. I plan on getting more chickens, rabbits, and maybe some goats.( if I can convince the family to eat those cute creatures)
    To live on as many acres as possable. I have 5.
    To actualy own my own property (gov will take it from me if I don't pay them their annual tax.)
    For my land to support me so I could work at home.
    I'm sure I've missed something but this is a good start.

Carl

14. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

To have wonderfull things to eat and an income as well.

I get to live my dream for about 3 months out of the year. I am starting the good times now: Last week I ate fresh-caught bluegill, and cherry pie from cherries from my own tree.

Today I am straining a gallon of honey from my hives. Much of the honey will go for Christmas presents and soon I will have blackberries to sell and to eat.

Later on I hope for another honey harvest, apples, and pears.

In order to extend the good times I have started asparagus, and it is doing well.

15. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

what they said :)

16. Jared

Jared Active Member

I want to be able to quit my factory job and not have to worry any more about getting a "quota". I want to go to work for my friend at the city Wastewater Dept. making low money but working days and having little stress at work. I want to build my own home debt-free. I don't ever want to have to tell my two year old that I can't afford to come to Vegas to see him again. Luckily, my father's opinion is that his land will be ours (my brother and sister's and mine) someday, so we may as well go ahead and live there and keep an eye on his equipment, since he lives in town. Brother's already there and my 20 acres is waiting for a house, well (the old one went south) and septic and us. I'm working on it right now by saving money and trying to draw house plans, but I'm not very creative.

17. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

............What a great thread!! Well , as I have stated previously , I believe Wyoming and Montana are the "Last Frontier" states that exist here in the lower 48. Not only from a regulatory point of view but from low population density as well . The cold weather , long travel distances between towns with a Wal-Mart and other big name stores and the general lack of jobs will ALways tend to keep the Lid on large influxes of population and for this I'm GLAD . MY "Dream" has been simply to find a couple of acres , buy a Used TT capable of withstanding the Winter temp's and build myself some kind of small but very livable "D" style log home and a shop\storage\covered parking . It will have a Big window looking out towards the Mountains where I can sit and Drink my coffee in my rocking Chair and enjoy those Mountains . My preference would be to be situated next to the national forrest where I could get on my 4wheeler , take off and go hunting during Elk season and simply bring the critter right up to my back door .
    .............So , we'll just have to see how thangs Progress I suppose . fordy.. :)

18. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Here is an example

A path:
    [​IMG]

One of the views while standing on a path:
    [​IMG]

A harsh area they couldn't walk through without a path:
    [​IMG]

19. countribound

countribound Happy in Houston

Great topic. Well since me and my hubby aren't moving out to our 11 acres for a few more years, I have ALL DAY, EVERY DAY to dream. :p Here are some of the things I would like to have (keyword being 'like'):

Outside:
    fishing pond
    stream running across front of property (we already have that)
    detached garage (for downstairs workshop and upstairs guest room)
    definitely fruit and nut trees
    berries
    veggie garden
    large compost pile
    limestone entry with Texas wrought iron stars
    Oak trees lining drive (Gone with the Wind-like!)
    Chicken coop
    Horse stable with at least two horses
    Storage cellar
    Big fire pit out back

House:
    Wrap around porch where you can sit and face east in the morning and west in the evening (back portion screened for night-time) and room for lots of rocking chairs
    Two-stories with upstairs dormers
    Large stone fireplace
    Wood-burning stove
    Mudroom (definitely)
    Huge walk-in pantry

My poor husband-he has no idea what he's in for! ;) I like to dream, but seriously, I will be happy with whatever the Lord can provide.

20. greenacresusa

greenacresusa Well-Known Member

We too aren't able to make our move for several years yet but we've got our plans made. We hope to be able to buy our land, in North West Arkansas in the Ozarks, in the next year or two. We hope to be able to get 40+ acres. We want to be able to add a little something each year but build our house in the year before we move. This will be our retirement home. We want the house to be a 2-3 bedroom 2 bath rancher. We don't want to have to have stairs to go up and down like we do now. Depending on how the land/rockyness is we want to have a full walk out basement. Hopefully we'll have a barn/pastures ready for the llamas that we currently own. The house will need to be near the center of our property so we don't have neihbors within view/ear distance :)

Also we want a nice porch and have our hottub there as well so we can look across our land in the evening and relax after a long hard day of good work around the place.

We plan to only make a trip to town once a week or less if we can. Because we'll be stocked up we'll have two gas generators just in case we lose power, so our freezers don't quit on us.

Our home will be heated by an outside wood furnace. We currently heat with wood now but want the furance outside to cut down on the mess and dust that we have now.

And oh yes, a stream is a must have when we buy. If we also have a pond or can make one that is a plus.