What Is Your Favorite Summer Squash For Taste,And How Do You Fix It?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Hee Haw, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Hee Haw

Hee Haw Well-Known Member

There are so many different summer squashs out there now, I was wondering what your favorite was and how do you prepare it,grilled,fried,boiled ect.? Thanks

2. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

I like the little yellow squash sliced and fried with onion and lots of pepper. YUM!

3. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i am not sure if it is a summer squash, but i like those star shaped "pattie?" squash floured and fried in a skillet.

4. Sabrina

Sabrina Well-Known Member

I like yellow summer squash and zucchini (both picked small) and I like to slice them up with red pepper and onion and pour Italian Dressing over.

5. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

Squash sandwich. Slice green tint squash 1/4" thick, salt and pepper both sides and dip in flour. Fry in skillet until very brown on both sides, drain on paper towel. Serve hot on butter bread, mmmm. Not to healthy but tasty.

6. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

My daughter and I perfer the crookneck yellow squash. We are trying a lot of different ones this year but I made sure we had a few hills of the crookneck.

7. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

Well, first of all, you don't "fix" squash--or any food item for that matter. That isn't grammatically correct. You prepare it. If something is broken, you fix it.

Yes, a scallop squash is a summer squash, and a zucchino is too.

By the way, I hate summer squash. Almost as much as I hate the slime of okra. I still grow okra, but I'm not the one who eats it.

8. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

Mmmmmm...... sounds like somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

LOL, love 'okry'! I like the little green patty pans. I fix em with potatoes and onions fried up in olive oil, red pepper and sea salt. Some fried chicken and home made cream corn, blackeyed peas with okry and sliced home grown maters and a BIG glass of sweet tea. MAN, I just made myself hongry!

10. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

Okra for me, too! I'll plant mine this weekend now that the weather has warmed up.

I usually plant zucchini and yellow crookneck. I like them sliced lengthwise, brushed with olive oil, grilled, and sprinkled with garlic salt. It's good hot, cold, in a sandwich with pesto, chopped up in a salad, tossed with buckwheat noodles and sesame paste, cooked in pasta primavera...the list could go on.

Now I'm hungry, too.

11. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

Around here I "fix" breakfast, lunch, and dinner! I must be "fixin' " it pretty good since I don't get any complaints! :)

12. Woodroe

Woodroe Well-Known Member

Yellow crook neck is the tastiest for us. We just roll in corn meal and fry in a pan with a bit of canola oil. add some onions too

13. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

You misspelled zucchini,captain correct-o.
    :hobbyhors
    Here's what I do with the yellow squash/zooks that hide,and get real big.
    Slice 'em in half,long ways.Scoop out the seed pocket.Chop up whatever kind of peppers you have,and fill the cavity.Slather the whole thing down with way too much butter.cover with brown sugar.In a shallow pan,with just enough water to prevent drying,bake @375 until tender.remove from oven,sprinkle with parmesan,and return to oven 'til cheese is golden-brown.
    Not only is this recipe delicious and pretty hard to mess up,it's a way to use the wayward,oversized squash that elude dang near every squash gardener.
    This recipe may also work with"zucchino",but I aint sure....

14. jynxt

jynxt Well-Known Member

we like all kinds of summer squash here. sometimes sliced and fried, sometimes stuffed with burger or sausage and thrown on the grill, sometimes sliced lengthwise and sprinkled with butter sugar and cinnamon. it's good in stir fried dishes or sauteed in all sorts of sauces with pasta or rice. ymmmm, squash....one of the favorite things about summer here.

15. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I like yellow straight neck summer squash best. I slice it up and roll the pieces in cornmeal and/or flour(seasoned with pepper and salt). Fry it until it's golden brown.

16. flannelberry

flannelberry Pure mischief

That's my favorite - as far as the brown sugar etc. but not cheese. We add a bit of pie spice instead. Yummy yum!

17. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I like ANY summer squash if it is stir-fried with olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper.

And, zuchini sticks with dip are very good.

18. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

No, I didn't missspell zucchini. That is the Italian PLURAL. The Italian singular is ZUCCHINO. Most Americans use the plural, zucchini, even when they are just talking about one. The Italian for just one is zucchino.

19. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

We ain' in no stinkin' Itly. :nono:

(for what it's worth- No, that last remark does NOT mean I think Italy stinks...)

20. Woodroe

Woodroe Well-Known Member

Hey Zealot, nobody likes a smart a#$